Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

ANOTHER new pizza place?

by Bryan Shepherd » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:14 pm

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but if it has, please disregard.

Within walking distance to the new Boombozz on Hurstbourne Ln is yet another pizza joint in the process of opening. It's a place called Pizzology. It is in the strip next to the Penn Station, Moe's, Melting Pot + others. It looks like it has 2 locations in Indy, but I have no other knowledge of this place.

Anyone have any experience with this one? Maybe there ISN'T a saturation point for pizza in this area....
BShep
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: ANOTHER new pizza place?

by Mark R. » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:01 pm

Bryan Shepherd wrote:Maybe there ISN'T a saturation point for pizza in this area....

If there is one we are sure trying hard to find it! Seems like almost every week we hear about another one popping up!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

JackMcCoy

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:07 pm

by JackMcCoy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:10 pm

I can confirm I've seen the blueprint for this place. It's called Pieology. I'm pretty sure it is a chain, with most locations out west.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:34 pm

JackMcCoy wrote:I can confirm I've seen the blueprint for this place. It's called Pieology. I'm pretty sure it is a chain, with most locations out west.

By looking at their website their concept sure looks an awful lot like Blaze.

no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:47 am

Also, the new Mellow Mushroom is under construction on Bardstown Road. It looks like a two story building and is next to Wild and Woolly video.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:00 pm

Mark R. wrote:
JackMcCoy wrote:I can confirm I've seen the blueprint for this place. It's called Pieology. I'm pretty sure it is a chain, with most locations out west.

By looking at their website their concept sure looks an awful lot like Blaze.

Both of which seem to be an awful lot like Uncle Maddio's, which came earlier. And of course, there's been a huge evolution of places using a similar "fresh-service" model for pizza, subs, burritos, tacos, etc. I'm not sure where it all started, but I'm thinking possibly Subway, possibly Chipotle.
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:58 am

That is it, Pieology. Any way you slice it, there will be exactly 4 (5 if you add Buca di Beppo) restaurants that offer pizza, all within 1/4 or 1/2 mile or so (not that anyone in their right mind would do this, with all of the nut job drivers on Hurstbourne Ln).
BShep
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:36 am

In my UK hospitality classes in 2000 they called it "fast casual". Subway might have been the first before it was a trend. Qdoba and Atlanta Bread were the two locally in Lexington that we talked about. Basically they take elements of both fast food and casual dining.

And there are no longer any truly new concepts. They might be new to an area but that's it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Eric Hall wrote:In my UK hospitality classes in 2000 they called it "fast casual". Subway might have been the first before it was a trend. Qdoba and Atlanta Bread were the two locally in Lexington that we talked about. Basically they take elements of both fast food and casual dining.

And there are no longer any truly new concepts. They might be new to an area but that's it.

Yup! Actually, I'm pretty sure that "fresh casual" is an evolution from, and a sub-set of, "fast casual," distinguished by having a line where you walk through and watch them put together your dish to order. Panera is fast casual. Chipotle is fresh casual. Or something like that. But either way, it's a fast-growing segment, and in recent years it's been quite a visible growth segment as it expanded from subs to burritos to tacos and pizza and who knows what next.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:34 pm

Just thought I'd give everyone an update in case I hadn't heard. Pieology will open tomorrow At 10 AM. Here's the story from business first: Pieology To Open Tomorrow

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:18 am

Here's their news release that went out April 8. Sorry I didn't post it. It seemed to be more of their claim to be the "original" fast-service pizza, giving pretty short shrift to Blaze and Uncle Maddio's, so I didn't bother to post it. Might as well put it up now, though, for the public amusement. :mrgreen:

Pieology wrote:Pieology Pizzeria Opens First Location in Louisville on Tuesday, April 14

Custom Pizza Chain Opens on Hurstbourne Pkwy.

Louisville, Ky. - (April 8, 2015) – Pieology Pizzeria, where pizza lovers go to create custom pizzas in endless flavor combinations, has announced the opening of its first location in Louisville 2043 S. Hurstbourne Pkwy (next to Half Price Books). Pieology will open to the public on Tuesday, April 14, at 10:00 a.m.

The Pieology experience starts with fresh house-made dough that is pressed into 11.5-inch thin pizza crusts. Guests first select from eight signature sauces, moving down the line to choose from more than 30 fresh and flavorful meats, cheeses, vegetables, herbs, and spices. The customized pizzas are then stone oven fired to perfection in less than three minutes. To finish, guests have the option to
add after-bake “Flavor Blast” sauces, including fiery buffalo, pesto and BBQ, completing their own unique creation. Most custom pizzas with unlimited toppings are $7.50 or less. Pieology also offers gluten-free crust, Daiya vegan mozzarella cheese, whole wheat crust and a selection of seven signature pizzas, which can be customized upon request.

“Pieology is thrilled to enter the Louisville fast casual restaurant market as an exciting new, family-friendly dining option,” said Debbie Porter, Director of Marketing for Pieology. “We are looking forward to providing a comfortable and casual space with the freshest and healthiest ingredients for friends and family to enjoy.”

Pieology in Louisville will comfortably seat approximately 100 guests in an industrial-chic and friendly environment where inspirational quotes decorate the walls, menus and employee uniforms. The restaurant is open Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. The restaurant can be contacted at (502) 749-7072.

About Pieology Pizzeria
Using only the freshest ingredients along with signature sauces and crusts, award-winning Pieology Pizzeria offers hand-crafted, personally-inspired pizzas in unlimited flavor combinations that are stone oven fired in less than three minutes. Founded in 2011 by Carl Chang, Pieology is the true “pie-oneer” in the fast casual custom pizza sector, evolving from the simple idea to turn America’s most crave-able food into an affordable and interactive experience. The mission of Pieology Pizzeria is to inspire individual creativity in a positive atmosphere where guests can gather with family and friends, while enjoying their delicious pizza creations. Along with providing great food and a memorable dining experience, Pieology is committed to making a positive difference in the communities it serves, one pie at a time. For more information, visit www.pieology.com, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:18 am

Here's their news release that went out April 8. Sorry I didn't post it. It seemed to be more of their claim to be the "original" fast-service pizza, giving pretty short shrift to Blaze and Uncle Maddio's, so I didn't bother to post it. Might as well put it up now, though, for the public amusement. :mrgreen:

Pieology wrote:Pieology Pizzeria Opens First Location in Louisville on Tuesday, April 14

Custom Pizza Chain Opens on Hurstbourne Pkwy.

Louisville, Ky. - (April 8, 2015) – Pieology Pizzeria, where pizza lovers go to create custom pizzas in endless flavor combinations, has announced the opening of its first location in Louisville 2043 S. Hurstbourne Pkwy (next to Half Price Books). Pieology will open to the public on Tuesday, April 14, at 10:00 a.m.

The Pieology experience starts with fresh house-made dough that is pressed into 11.5-inch thin pizza crusts. Guests first select from eight signature sauces, moving down the line to choose from more than 30 fresh and flavorful meats, cheeses, vegetables, herbs, and spices. The customized pizzas are then stone oven fired to perfection in less than three minutes. To finish, guests have the option to
add after-bake “Flavor Blast” sauces, including fiery buffalo, pesto and BBQ, completing their own unique creation. Most custom pizzas with unlimited toppings are $7.50 or less. Pieology also offers gluten-free crust, Daiya vegan mozzarella cheese, whole wheat crust and a selection of seven signature pizzas, which can be customized upon request.

“Pieology is thrilled to enter the Louisville fast casual restaurant market as an exciting new, family-friendly dining option,” said Debbie Porter, Director of Marketing for Pieology. “We are looking forward to providing a comfortable and casual space with the freshest and healthiest ingredients for friends and family to enjoy.”

Pieology in Louisville will comfortably seat approximately 100 guests in an industrial-chic and friendly environment where inspirational quotes decorate the walls, menus and employee uniforms. The restaurant is open Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. The restaurant can be contacted at (502) 749-7072.

About Pieology Pizzeria
Using only the freshest ingredients along with signature sauces and crusts, award-winning Pieology Pizzeria offers hand-crafted, personally-inspired pizzas in unlimited flavor combinations that are stone oven fired in less than three minutes. Founded in 2011 by Carl Chang, Pieology is the true “pie-oneer” in the fast casual custom pizza sector, evolving from the simple idea to turn America’s most crave-able food into an affordable and interactive experience. The mission of Pieology Pizzeria is to inspire individual creativity in a positive atmosphere where guests can gather with family and friends, while enjoying their delicious pizza creations. Along with providing great food and a memorable dining experience, Pieology is committed to making a positive difference in the communities it serves, one pie at a time. For more information, visit http://www.pieology.com, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:28 am

Let's just rename Hurstbourne Pietown Lane and be done with it.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:33 pm

I've never understood the cultural appeal of pizza. I know it was a main stay of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but other than that it just seemed like a lame open-faced sandwich/casserole made with love handles and spare tires. I must be missing something though cause people love the stuff.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:49 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:I've never understood the cultural appeal of pizza. I know it was a main stay of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but other than that it just seemed like a lame open-faced sandwich/casserole made with love handles and spare tires. I must be missing something though cause people love the stuff.

I love pizza. I have rarely met a pizza that I didn't like. I unfailingly check out every new pizza place, and usually like it.

I do draw the line at Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Domino's and such, but that's because, despite Papa's claims, crappy ingredients make crappy pizza, and when the bean counters rule, you're going to have crappy ingredients. :P
Next