Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

David A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:05 pm

John Varanese' reply to minimum wage discussion

by David A » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Dear friends and colleagues,

I have been very disappointed to see certain comments from recent interviews taken out of context, thus creating negative commentary from those who didn’t hear the original conversations. One quote specifically when I was speaking to WFPL about my life and how I came to open up my restaurant was not reported correctly.

After the formal interview was complete, the reporter and I were speculating on how a person might come to be paid minimum wage later in life. A variety of reasons were discussed, from things beyond a person’s control like the shortcomings of our government, to things within a person’s control like motivation and drive. Certainly, I do not think all people without means are unmotivated. I understand the setbacks a person can face as my family and I grew up with financial challenges.

In every interview I’ve conducted, I stated that I support a wage increase. Repeatedly, I’ve said that I believe it should be at the national level, and that it should not be a drastic increase. My goal was to present alternate solutions to this problem and it’s a shame that these solutions were not presented in the media. In my opinion, the minimum wage should be something that is reviewed yearly and increased gradually based on the consumer price index. We should not ignore this issue for 10 years and then suddenly increase the minimum wage by 30%. It is detrimental to my business and many other local businesses. Plus, the Kentucky Restaurant Association’s legal counsel has advised me that it is not within the power of Louisville Metro Council to pass this ordinance.

I believe that every person who works should be paid a fair, living wage. In my restaurant, I pay all hourly employees more than the current minimum wage — all but three part time hostesses make over $10 per hour. They are all skilled professionals whose expertise I value. Without them, I could not run the business I have built.

I appreciate all of the discussion surrounding this issue, and I’m grateful to be able to participate in the democratic process that our country affords us. Thank you for letting me clarify my position.