Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Expectations, eateries, wine lists and beer lists.

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:33 pm

This is something I've considered posting for a while, and should not be construed as directed "against" Robin or any other local reviewer/critic. It goes hand in hand with a chat I had with John White a few weeks back.

I've read a couple of Robin's restaurant reviews in which he devoted the usual paragraph or two to the wine list (the Stratto's review being the most recent), but wrote nothing about available beer. Other times, he has mentioned available beer if the selection merited mention, but whereas commenting on the wine list would seem to be a requirement, beer seems optional.

My question, then, is this: Speaking as a beer enthusiast, who'd like to be able to read a review of a restaurant and know what kind of beer list the place has, is there going to come I time when this information is essential in the same way as the wine list analysis is essential?
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

Re: Expectations, eateries, wine lists and beer lists.

by David Clancy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:15 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:This is something I've considered posting for a while, and should not be construed as directed "against" Robin or any other local reviewer/critic. It goes hand in hand with a chat I had with John White a few weeks back.

I've read a couple of Robin's restaurant reviews in which he devoted the usual paragraph or two to the wine list (the Stratto's review being the most recent), but wrote nothing about available beer. Other times, he has mentioned available beer if the selection merited mention, but whereas commenting on the wine list would seem to be a requirement, beer seems optional.

My question, then, is this: Speaking as a beer enthusiast, who'd like to be able to read a review of a restaurant and know what kind of beer list the place has, is there going to come I time when this information is essential in the same way as the wine list analysis is essential?
Re-inventing the wheel takes time Rog and Wine is still the weathervane. Right now, a great wine list still trumps a great beer list (though I too would like to see some parody there as I much prefer a good beer with my dinner....) The education of the palate is the key and you are the juggernaut!!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Expectations, eateries, wine lists and beer lists.

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:11 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:I've read a couple of Robin's restaurant reviews in which he devoted the usual paragraph or two to the wine list (the Stratto's review being the most recent), but wrote nothing about available beer. Other times, he has mentioned available beer if the selection merited mention, but whereas commenting on the wine list would seem to be a requirement, beer seems optional.

Interesting and good questions, Roger, and certainly I don't take them negatively at all. I'm not sure that you researched enough of my columns to accurately represent my policy, though. Basically, I generally mention the beer list when it's exceptional, and not when it's not, except perhaps when it's lacking in a place that could or should have a good one.

I don't always mention the wine list either, though. A lot of variables go into whether I do. Typically I mention it if the restaurant is the kind of place that needs a wine list, and in that case I'll evaluate it and either compliment it or ding it for selection and price.

It's true that a wine list is considered a critical criterion for a white-tablecloth restaurant and a beer list, very frankly, is not. I love it when a place has a fine beer list, but given all the points that have to be made in a review - even with LEO's generous space allocation - I have to admit that discussion of the beer list is one variable that sometimes makes the cut and sometimes does not.

But I believe, and hope, that I take care to mention the list if it's exceptionally good, or if it's exceptionally poor in a situation where a better list could and should be expected.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:31 pm

we can only hope

i believe that Robin hit the nail on the head when he stated that he comments when the "beer list" is worthy of comment
unfortunately
the beer list at many of our local restaurants are not worthy of comment

we can only hope that good beer spreads like the plague

an interesting note-

our local liquor store in Charlestown now carries a small selection of microbrews and imports
shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

NeilDSmith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:18 pm

Sellersburg

by NeilDSmith » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:20 am

Most restaurants develop wine menus with descriptions of the characteristics of there offerings and merely list their beer choices. It was very helpful to us when your brewers gave us descriptions of your two beers we have introduced.
Neil Smith
The Fireside Bar & Grill
Sellersburg, IN
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:26 am

Shawn Vest wrote:i believe that Robin hit the nail on the head when he stated that he comments when the "beer list" is worthy of comment

Come to think of it, I do believe I commented in some detail on the awesome beer list at ... Charlestown Pizza! :D (And a little less detail about the wine ... )
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:57 pm

Apologies for starting this and not having the time to keep up.

Neil, thanks for having us.

Obviously, there remains a perception that for an eatery to be first rate, there must be a wine list of certain conceptual dimensions. The same cannot be said about the beer list. Thse are facts, near as I can tell.

Conversely -- and for some, perversely -- I judge the place by the presence of a beer list of certain conceptual dimensions.

In this place and time, I can see no excuse for a top dollar place not trying to have a representative beer list.

Maybe I need to consider becoming a consultant.

Back to work -- gonna be a busy one.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:53 pm

I think I have one of the best beer lists in the area, but my food selection is horrible.... unless you are a big fan of Frito-Lay chips or Planter's peanuts.... oh wait, you meant restaurants.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:51 pm

Todd Antz wrote:I think I have one of the best beer lists in the area, but my food selection is horrible.... unless you are a big fan of Frito-Lay chips or Planter's peanuts.... oh wait, you meant restaurants.

Hey, don't knock Planter's! Peanuts r00l! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:23 pm

todd does have one of the best beer lists in the region, but i don't think it has ever been reviewed
oh and possibly the best beer tastings in the area too
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699