Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

Red Yeti Brewing Company, a perspective.

by Adriel Gray » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:01 pm

I haven't really seen a review up yet for Red Yeti so I guess I'll do this. I worry about conflict of interests saying I dig a place when I sell product to them so I just figure I'll mention right off the bat that the Smoked Pork Belly on the menu is partly my doing... :wink:

I've been twice to Jeffersonville for dinner, and several times just to get a beer. The atmosphere is so laid back and mellow that you don't mind just throwing a rump in a stool for a pint and a chat. The menu is the same. Chef Mike Bowe does a great job of making really finely crafted pub food seem familiar and easy. Prices hover in that niche gastro pub range of over $10 but under $20. But every time I have been I've split an appetizer and entree with my companion and left feeling full. The Taco Trio appetizer is pretty awesome. The slaw on each of these generous tacos is made in house from scratch and it shows. Also do yourself a favor and get the RYBC Mac and Cheese, it kills.

They have a full bar which makes a great hot toddy, which is a plus if you walk over the pedestrian bridge this time of year. The beer list has all the cool craft brews you'd want rotating seasonally week by week. Plus the first runs of the RYBC beers have started showing up and they are really good. Now this is where a good reporter would tell you the names and the flavor profiles but I am a bad reporter and can't remember the few I tried. The one that stuck was a rich chocolaty stout that had a smooth low viscosity feel. The fact that I poured it down so fast may lead to my inability to recall it's name. :oops: The beer varieties I've tried focused on tasty smoothness like a Country Boy Brew, and less on the big flavor packed offerings from say Apocalypse. I look forward to RYBC offering growler service which I've been told will be coming as they ramp up production.

If I had a complaint, I would say that Red Yeti is young. They are trying to put all the pieces of a great gastro pub together before your eyes. They didn't open the doors on a perfectly formed micro brew pub. You are walking into a very comfortable, and cool micro brew pub puppy, but this puppy has big paws... and I can't wait to see a full grown Yeti!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Red Yeti Brewing Company, a perspective.

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:24 pm

Nice review, Adriel. It makes me want to suit up and charge across the bridge. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:27 pm

It's one of my favorite places in the area. The only knock I ever have on it is the speed of getting your food, but that's more often because I'm in a rush than anything else. Staff is great, food is great, and it's a nice enough place it makes me sad when I drop by and it's close to empty. If it were on Bardstown Road it would be packed on a regular basis.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:47 pm

Adam Robinson wrote:It's one of my favorite places in the area. The only knock I ever have on it is the speed of getting your food, but that's more often because I'm in a rush than anything else. Staff is great, food is great, and it's a nice enough place it makes me sad when I drop by and it's close to empty. If it were on Bardstown Road it would be packed on a regular basis.

Totally agree Adam. Part of the reason I decided to write about it. It's like that big wave of buzz hasn't hit yet. There are windows where the bar and dining room are both packed. I know a lot of Louisville natives who work in Indiana wait out traffic there after work and have drinks with coworkers. It's such a gem I'd just like to see it packed all the time.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:54 pm

Adam Robinson wrote:It's one of my favorite places in the area. The only knock I ever have on it is the speed of getting your food, but that's more often because I'm in a rush than anything else. Staff is great, food is great, and it's a nice enough place it makes me sad when I drop by and it's close to empty. If it were on Bardstown Road it would be packed on a regular basis.

I also agree, and want to emphasize that the staff are some of the best anywhere! I agree with Adriel that they are still growing and settling, but the bones definitely are there, and the staff makes up for the occasional delay.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:48 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:

Totally agree Adam. Part of the reason I decided to write about it. It's like that big wave of buzz hasn't hit yet. There are windows where the bar and dining room are both packed. I know a lot of Louisville natives who work in Indiana wait out traffic there after work and have drinks with coworkers. It's such a gem I'd just like to see it packed all the time.

Exactly what I do. If the bridge is flashing on traffic at a 30 minute wait to get across it, I spend my time there instead of polluting the atmosphere. :D
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:12 am

Jeffersonville is still a work in progress. The transformation has been dramatic. The Big Four Bridge has poured thousands of visitors during the warm months on a once charming, but sleepy part of town. So much was in transition this past season as the bridge opened, the surrounding park area was under construction, and businesses adapted to change. This spring will be the coming out party for the city. Anyone who hasn't walked over the bridge yet will be quickly hooked by the entire experience.

I am coining the term referring to the "Big Four" as the "bridge that laid the golden egg!"
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:19 am

James Natsis wrote:... the "bridge that laid the golden egg!"

I am almost sure a bawdy joke could be worked out of that, but it would take some thought to make it a good one.