Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Emperor of China - anyone else experience attitude?

by Kim H » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:40 pm

We hit this place for carryout, mostly because I'm a soup hound, like their hot n sour, and they're close to our house. But EVERY time I call, I get a more than a negative attitude, tonight being ridiculously rude. I called back after my initial order to add spring rolls, which was apparently a sin. I was about to ask for "real" Chinese mustard (as opposed to those packets), but she hung up before I could request it. When I called back, she said, "this is the third time you've called! I will now have 3 tickets in the kitchen for you!" I told her she had hung up on me before I could finish my request, and she got in an argument with me! Really?? Close or not, this or last visit there. This is not the first time that owner has been borderline belligerent. I hope our food isn't poisoned or spit in - I would've cancelled, but hubby was on his way to pick it up. Anyone else have an issue with their 'customer service'? She's literally begged for our repeat biz in the past in what seemed like desperation, but she sure doesn't do anything to ensure repeat business. At least, not for me.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Emperor of China - anyone else experience attitude?

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:06 am

Kim, this used to be one of the city's top Chinese restaurants, but that was a long time ago. It slipped a lot (after Ai-Ling Wang sold it, I think), and I think of it now as a very fancy looking neighborhood chopsticks house with a very odd bar full of elderly Anglos at all hours. :mrgreen:

Not so far from that location, Jade Palace in Westport Village isn't really what it used to be, either, but the food and 'tude might be better. Ditto Oriental House on Shelbyville Road near Fairmeade in St Matthews.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:45 am

This is the one in Holiday Manor, correct? We went for dinner last Saturday night and when we walked in, the lady that I am assuming is an owner was sitting in the very front near the door eating. She didn't get up, handed us two menus and told us to seat ourselves because she was eating. lol....

I liked my tofu dish, but my husband just got chicken fried rice and it was inedible honestly. No flavor and grey fatty chicken. YUCK! They weren't concerned though and just packed it up and sent us on our way.

I honestly don't really know how they make it. There were only two tables in the place on a Saturday night at prime dinner time. We won't be back. Oriental House is our regular go-to spot for Chinese food - it's honestly one of the only Chinese places we will even eat at anymore - I don't know why we strayed but it won't happen again!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Carole C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 15, 2009 7:00 am

by Carole C » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:08 pm

I live nearby and have never been a fan of the food much. The last time I went, I got something extra from that woman. She apparently thought my hair was too frizzy and offered Chinese know-how of what to do about it. I thought my hair looked great. She made up for the insult by sending me home with some herbs she was growing. I guess she felt sorry for me, with my frizzy hair and all.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:50 pm

Thank you all for your responses. I promise, I try not to post anything negative, esp regarding a Local, but this woman is consistently, well, nasty. I get a strong sense that she feels trapped, and has no interest in the food or her customers. I apologize if I'm off base, but I'm thinking I'm not. Sad. I really appreciate the suggestions for alternatives for other nearby Chinese! Thank you! (I'll add that it's mostly about my soup obsession with added scovel units when I haven't made my own soup!)
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:00 pm

@Heather - yes, it's the Holiday Manor location. I figured it would go downhill when Empress closed, but they're close and have my soup, so we kept getting carryout. Hub hasn't liked their food for years.

@Carole - that is the most ridiculous insult I remember hearing from a restaurant owner! I can't imagine that you ever went back, and I bet your hair looked great!

@Robin - they have been going downhill for years, and it's disappointing. I didn't grow up in Louisville, but have been here long enough to know this is not who they used to be.
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:23 pm

When we first moved to Louisville about fifteen years ago we lived by Holiday Manor. We ate there a few times, and got carry out on occasion. The last time we had carry out (@13 years ago) the shrimp was so soft...like mush. It was nasty. We never went back. Lately we've been getting carry out from The Tea Station in Norton Commons. Very friendly folks and the food is consistently delicious.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:11 pm

Tea Station! Great plan! Never been, but have heard great things here, and almost as close - thanks for the reminder!
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:17 pm

Tea Station also delivers if you live nearby.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Really!?! :shock: Great news!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:16 pm

Took my daughter to EC a few years back. She is rather shy when dining but always mannerly. She was very slender and looked especially nice that night. I don't even remember the meal, I think it was ok. I always (like many people that were once in the biz) over tip. We weren't demanding or rude. In fact I don't think they were at all unhappy with us. Apparently the restaurant proprietor (a woman) and staff thought my daughter was attractive because my darling daughter had to endure some pretty embarrassing cat calls from them while we were leaving the restaurant. The woman very loudly commented (across the parking lot!) about how my daughter's figure filled out her dress and that one of the busboys really wanted her. I was aghast! I turned to walk back and do what I don't honestly know but I was furious. Daughter begs " no momma let's just go." So we did. Obviously we've never been back. I wrote it off as an obscure one time bizarre occurrence but maybe not now after reading this thread.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:50 pm

This is the 'Death of a Restaurant.'

I remember Pa bringing me into the storage room and giving me my first raise in 1987-ish. A quarter per hour! For a busser/prep-kid! He was the best. When he passed, she lost the love, I think. Does anybody remember him hammering out noodles before noodles became popular again?

Roland hung in but eventually left, as well.

I don't go there- I prefer to remember them at their best...

There was nightly entertainment- a piano player who would run through the jazz classics. The food was served with silver covers over them. The fish tanks were full of exotic fish. The best Chinese Chefs were in the kitchen. The place smelled of sterno gas and cooked meat from all the Pu-Pu platters we sold. We'd have family meals of authentic Chinese food everyday. Everybody loved us and we loved what we did. It was very special, indeed.

When Pa died, that died.

'I have dreamt a dream and now that dream has gone.'

:cry:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:45 pm

Kim H wrote:Thank you all for your responses. I promise, I try not to post anything negative, esp regarding a Local, but this woman is consistently, well, nasty. I get a strong sense that she feels trapped, and has no interest in the food or her customers. I apologize if I'm off base, but I'm thinking I'm not. Sad. I really appreciate the suggestions for alternatives for other nearby Chinese! Thank you! (I'll add that it's mostly about my soup obsession with added scovel units when I haven't made my own soup!)

Robin...are you sure Ai-Ling sold it? All the comments sound like her!

As far as options in the area, in Prospect next to Bistro 42 is a decent place with nice people running things. They also will work with you if you want menu changes. They have a very standard menu (nothing really exciting), but do what they do reliably well.
Andrew Mellman
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:59 am

"As far as options in the area, in Prospect next to Bistro 42 is a decent place with nice people running things. They also will work with you if you want menu changes. They have a very standard menu (nothing really exciting), but do what they do reliably well."

L&J Café They are doing some delicious veg dishes.

92. Sweet-Citrus Soy Protein
Marinated thick-sliced soy protein in a sweet and tangy citrus sauce 10.99
93. Black Pepper Seitan
Tender thin sliced medllions of wheat protein sauteed in a savory black pepper brown sauce over a bed of Chinese broccoli 10.99
94. Smoked Teriyaki Seitan
Sliced filets of smoked wheat protein in teriyaki sauce over a bed of snow peas 10.99
95. Malaysian Curry Stew
Mild, slow-cooked coconut curry, w. soy protein, broccoli, carrots, potatoes & green pepper 10.99
96. Basil Soy Protein
Thick, tender slices of soy protein sauteed in basil-ginger sauce w. zucchini, asparagus & peppers 10.99

http://www.ljcafeprospect.com/default.aspx
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:16 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:Robin...are you sure Ai-Ling sold it? All the comments sound like her!

Andrew, I have had so little contact with Emperor for the past decade or more, memory may be failing me. But I sure thought she had sold it and retired years ago - in the early '00s, maybe - around the same time as Roland left and they stopped doing the big annual Chinese New Year parade.