Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Hate winter? Warm your soul and tummy at Bistro 1860

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:18 pm

Hate winter? Warm your soul and tummy at Bistro 1860

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Bistro 1860's Colorado Rack of Lamb

I try hard to be open-minded. I really do.

Consider the evidence: I'm a U of L grad, but I'm willing to root for UK or even IU, assuming that they aren't playing the home team. I'm male yet feminist, straight yet affirming. And even as a card-carrying liberal, I voted for at least one Republican on last month's ballot. Hey, it's something!

But all this tolerance stops when we talk about the seasons.

I hate winter. I hate winter with a deep and abiding loathing. Boo to snow! Bah to ice! Be damned to frostbite and bitter cold! If we could run the calendar straight from October to April, I would be just fine with that.

But let's not go negative here. Let's talk about coping with the reality that is winter. One blustery evening recently, when the temperature was dropping, the wind was shrieking, and my heavy parka wasn't doing all that much good, we stepped in the door of Bistro 1860.

Aaahhh.

Warm welcomes, a cozy table, and a fireplace that seemed to warm the entire room quickly drove the dark winter away.

What's more, to my delight, Chef Michael Crouch has just launched his seasonal menu for winter, a bill of fare loaded with hearty delights to stick to the ribs and warm the soul.

Aaahhh.

Crouch's menu is billed as "French-American fusion," but it looks pretty international to me, in a good way. Its "à trois niveaux" (three levels) format affords a choice of bite-size, appetizer or full entrée portions for many dishes. Prices range from $6 to $12 for most bites (foie gras is $17), $11-32 for apps, and $17-$47 for mains.

Mary and I and our friends Bob and Julie were all about sharing, so a smorgasbord of bites and apps spread over the table made sense for us. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/hate- ... istro-1860
And in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2014/12/hate-w ... stro-1860/

Bistro 1860
1765 Mellwood Ave.
618-1745
http://bistro1860.com
Robin Garr's rating: 93 points
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Hate winter? Warm your soul and tummy at Bistro 1860

by Carla G » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:08 am

I really enjoyed reading this review. I'm sure it isn't as much fun as dining at Bistro 1860 but I certainly will add it to my bucket list.

Thanks Robin!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson