Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

US Legal System at Work

User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

US Legal System at Work

by Jay M. » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:12 pm

I went to Jimmy Johns for lunch last week and there was a stack of these Notices on the counter. Apparently, a Los Angeles resident was miffed that JJ omitted the advertised sprouts from her sandwich and filed suit. The suit was granted class action status and was settled through a mediator. She was awarded $ 5000 in damages, JJ had to make the offer shown in the notice, and the attorneys walked away with $ 370,000. If I were JJ, I'd require anyone making a claim to produce a receipt from the period listed documenting they ordered a sandwich with sprouts. Only then could they get their free pickle. You cannot make up this stuff - ridiculous.

rsz_jimmyjohn.jpg
rsz_jimmyjohn.jpg (59.67 KiB) Viewed 4408 times
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: US Legal System at Work

by Mark R. » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:42 pm

I don't know which is sillier, the fact that somebody would even file a class action lawsuit over the issue or the fact that the court actually agreed! Of course as usual, the only person who ended up making money was the layer.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:17 am

No such case number exists for Los Angles superior court actions. No doubt we will be reading about this on Snopes website before too long. Me smells a marketing ploy.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:54 am

Carla G wrote:No such case number exists for Los Angles superior court actions. No doubt we will be reading about this on Snopes website before too long. Me smells a marketing ploy.

It appears on the Jimmy John's website, so my guess is that it's for real.

https://www.jimmyjohns.com/uploadedFile ... es_JJF.pdf
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:38 am

Yeah I saw some "legaleez" jargon on the JJ site but when I went to the city of LA court records ( they are open to the public) that court case number does not exist.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:44 am

This article gives another slant to the story:
http://www.startribune.com/business/279631652.html
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Wow. Just wow . I was so hoping it was a phony press release but I guess our court system is as goofy as the British says it is. I am so embarrassed .
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:52 pm

I don't believe the court rendered this settlement. Rather, it was agreed to by both parties, so I'm less inclined to damn the entire legal system, or at least the civil side.

Of course, none of this has any bearing on the apparent frivolous nature of this case.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:26 pm

Not that I agree with the frivolity here, but if it had to happen to somebody, I couldn't think of a better person than Jimmy John Liautaud. I would love to have been there to witness his reaction. :lol:
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:51 pm

The official court document is here:
http://www.classactionsnews.com/sites/default/files/downloadables/settlements/jimmy_johns_false_advertisement_class_action_settlement_notice.pdf

My favorite part:

"...each of the following payments will be sought...Class Representative Heather Starks, a sum of $5,000 in addition to what she would receive as Participating Claimant in this action to compensate her..."

So, Heather gets $5000 and a pickle!
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:27 am

Carla G wrote:Wow. Just wow . I was so hoping it was a phony press release but I guess our court system is as goofy as the British says it is. I am so embarrassed .

As bad as the US court system is, no one from Airstrip One has any room to talk.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:12 pm

Something is rotten in Denmark . . .

Jimmy John's "agreed" to settle this ridiculous case by providing a voucher for a free side item up to $1.40 in value in stores up to a total amount of $750,000 for all vouchers.

So, Jimmy Johns pays $750,000 to get a story published all over the country that if you come into a store and buy a sandwich you can get a free cookie, pickle or bag of chips. Hmmmm, I wonder how much more it would've cost to market such a promotion in the traditional manner????

Jimmy Johns wasn't born yesterday.