Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

More tipping: Many restaurant workers "food-insecure"

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:01 pm

Speaking of the tipping economy, check this: A horrifying percentage of restaurant workers' incomes leave them "food-insecure."

Cruel Irony: Food Insecurity of NYC Restaurant Workers

Today, Restaurant Opportunities Center of New York (ROC-NY) along with the Food Chain Workers Alliance and Food First released a new report, Food Insecurity of Restaurant Workers, a first comprehensive look at food security and employment conditions of workers in the restaurant industry.

The report, based on over 280 surveys and interviews with restaurant workers in New York City and the San Francisco Bay Area, highlights the crucial ways in which restaurant workers’ employment conditions affect their ability to feed themselves.

Full Report:
http://rocny.org/foodinsecurity/
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: More tipping: Many restaurant workers "food-insecure"

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:34 pm

This goes back a LONG time - and is not meant to diminish the point of the article, as I know it's an anomaly - but I remember a survey of "21" in New York in the late 1960's/early 70's which showed that the average waiter there earned more than the average customer!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:24 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:I remember a survey of "21" in New York in the late 1960's/early 70's which showed that the average waiter there earned more than the average customer!

Anecdotally, Andrew, I have a sense that a really good server at a high-end place can still go home very happy, most nights. But it's an iffy way to make a living, and rough on most workers, especially at the lower end of the price scale.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:I remember a survey of "21" in New York in the late 1960's/early 70's which showed that the average waiter there earned more than the average customer!

Anecdotally, Andrew, I have a sense that a really good server at a high-end place can still go home very happy, most nights. But it's an iffy way to make a living, and rough on most workers, especially at the lower end of the price scale.

Of course it is "an iffy way to make a living". So is any commission sales an "iffy way to make a living". Good commission sales people make a very good living. Good servers make a good living. Selling a weak product for a low price almost guarantees low income. Selling a good product for a good price usually results in a good income.

Better servers usually work for better places. Competence usually commands higher incomes.

For example, should bad writers make the same as good writers?
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:24 am

Since there's a new tipping thread, I'd like to ask any industry insiders (mgt or employees) whether the ideas expressed on the following link make sense:

http://www.foodieknowledge.com/the-reas ... 012/11/13/

It's a short writeup on the difficulties tipped employees have in paying for health insurance.