Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:27 pm

Excuse a little self-promotion from a forum regular, but - don't y'all forget about Lou Lou - we have 12 pizzas plus "design your own" and calzones to match on our menu.

Cafe Lou Lou Menu
no avatar
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 pm

LaGrange

TOtally forgot

by Ned Weatherby » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:40 pm

I would rank Lou Lou's up in my top 3 for sure. I Love the potato pizza, the buffalo chicken pizza and the lou lou
Good Eats
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Primo, hands down.

I also enjoy Tony Impellizeri's and Hero's. When I visited Luigi's, I think it had been sitting around too long, though maybe it's my own fault for going just before closing on Saturday.

Is the Original Impellizeri's about the same as Tony Impellizeri's? What are the relative merits?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:05 pm

Eliza W wrote:Is the Original Impellizeri's about the same as Tony Impellizeri's? What are the relative merits?

They're brothers, who split up after their father died. Tony moved out to Hurstbourne and set up a small pizzeria in a little strip mall. Benny operated their old Bardstown Road spot for a few years, but it failed; a second effort on Lyndon Lane stayed open for only a few weeks. The current iteration, the third, appears well capitalized and well managed, and is <i>hugely</i> popular. Everyone is glad it's back and hope it stays.

Benny's (Original Impellizzeri on Bardstown) is a lot easier for urbanites to get to, and it's more of an attractive bistro atmosphere. Tony's is convenient for East Enders but not for anyone else.

But as best I can judge, the pizzas are for all intents and purposes identical. That classic Impellizzeri style, cheese and toppings piled very high on a good, thin, bread-like crust, enough to feed a family for several days.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:06 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Excuse a little self-promotion from a forum regular, but - don't y'all forget about Lou Lou - we have 12 pizzas plus "design your own" and calzones to match on our menu.

Cafe Lou Lou Menu

Absolutely! Clay's pizzas are awesome. Apologies for not including it, but for some reason, when I think of Cafe Lou Lou, I think of so many good things that the pizza doesn't pop into my head first.
no avatar
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:13 pm

Primo and Rich O's are my favorites for totally different reasons. Primo is the only place in town doing anything approaching the type of pizza I ate in Italy, and Rich O's upside down pizza is the best big gooey american style pizza I've ever had (Chicago included).

Although lately I've become quite fond of the take home thin crust delites pizzas from Papa Murphy's. If you finish them on the bottom of a really hot oven, the crust blisters nicely.
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:44 pm

My picks

Primo
Spinellis
Wicks
Come Back Inn
Boombozz
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:07 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Marsha L. wrote:Excuse a little self-promotion from a forum regular, but - don't y'all forget about Lou Lou - we have 12 pizzas plus "design your own" and calzones to match on our menu.

Cafe Lou Lou Menu

Absolutely! Clay's pizzas are awesome. Apologies for not including it, but for some reason, when I think of Cafe Lou Lou, I think of so many good things that the pizza doesn't pop into my head first.

bad oversight on my part as well. Lou-Lou pizza kicks ass.
no avatar
User

Daniel Raines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:21 pm

by Daniel Raines » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:44 pm

1) Boombozz
2) Rich O's
3) Slice of NY
4) Hero's
5) Steve O's

Other's in KY of note

* Buddy's in Frankfort
* Brooklyn Pizza in Lexington
* Nicky's Pizza in Hebron (Fantastic)
no avatar
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:14 pm

What a great topis! I see several places I need to try...

My top 5:

1. Za's- but it has to have the whole wheat crust
2. BoomBozz
3. Primo
4. Cafe Lou Lou- love the roasted garlic!
5. Luigi's
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:50 pm

MikeG wrote:1)Rich-O's (far and away best in the REGION.)
2)Boomboz
3)Charlestown Pizza Company
4)Slice of NY
5)Clifton Pizza Co.
I second Charlestown Pizza Co! Shawn knows his sh^% and has a bad-as$ beer selection to boot!!(I should have sold pizzas.....I coulda been a contender....)
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:26 pm

ok here's my five

the original (benny's) impellizeri's

the first dine in papa johns had good pie

the original jokamo's

old school pasquale's

and the old rocky's in jeff (a tie with the old Tubby's)

oh, wait noe of those exist anymore!!!

current good pies in the ville

sportsime/richo's - the roundhouse is the best thick crust in the region - hands down

us, the CPC (maybe i'm biased)

Wicks - but only with light cheese

unfortunately i haven't had the opportunity to try some of the other local flavors

thanks for the rankings everyone

and Dave you're still a contender (i'm just glad you didn't open a pizza place by us)

thanks
shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Colin H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 01, 2007 11:28 pm

Crescent Hill

by Colin H » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:37 am

boombozz
sportstime
impellizeri's
jockamo's
cafe lou lou
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:19 am

Robin really hit the nail on the head.....you can't define the Top 5 pizzas without recognizing the pizzas' own heritage. Being that I hail from New York, that's where my top spots lie.....I am not a deep dish, or "uber"-topped pizza kind of guy...that said my fav's:

Luigi's, Frascelli's Deli (Crestwood), Slice of NY, Spinelli's, and Hero's
Last edited by Rob_DeLessio on Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:20 am

That said, I do thoroughly enjoy pizza from Cafe Lou Lou's, Clifton's, occasionally Wick's (light sauce please), and love the Boombozz pies...
PreviousNext