Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Brasserie Provence soothes the savage critic

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:43 pm

Brasserie Provence soothes the savage critic

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Tarte de tomates et chévre au basilic at Brasserie Provence.

"Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast." Or maybe "beast." Everybody thinks the Bard wrote this, but it was actually William Congreve, a decidedly lesser poet who lived a century or so after Bill Shakspear trod the boards.

Whatever.

My breast was savage, and so was my beast, the other day. I was crabby. I'll admit it. And I showed few signs of getting better. What was gnawing at my liver? Let me count the ways. (The Bard really did say that.)

First, I was getting over a nasty infection and gobbling two flavors of antibiotics. One hyped me up as if I had chugged a half-dozen cups of coffee, with the attendant impulse to chatter. The other precluded beverage alcohol.

A delightful evening with friends at Brasserie Provence, a place that I really liked last time, was on the calendar, and I was aching to go. Then it turned out that Mary had a conflicting meeting and couldn't come along.

What to do? No bride to keep me company. I didn't feel great. No appetite for meat, poultry, fish. Didn't dare order an adult beverage to boost my sagging spirit. This was not a joke. We're not talking about "do not drive or use power tools or heavy machinery" here, but an immediate and dire risk of projectile regurgitation. No adult beverages: Not. One. Drop.

TMI? Fine! Let's move on. A food critic has to be fair, that's the prime directive. Mood matters. Could I possibly dredge a fair and balanced review out of a visit when I faced strict limitations, not to mention feeling like koala roadkill on a Tasmanian back road?

?Being aware of the issue is the key, I guess, harrumph. Staying home wouldn't make me better, and I could always deep-six the review if I felt too cranky after all. So I bundled up and headed out into a chilly night with a fierce wind blowing that reminded me a lot of a Provence mistral, only colder.

Before long, I wheeled into the suburban parking lot where Brasserie Provence beckoned with cozy lights and a table full of smiling friends. I felt better already! Owner Guy Genoud, a certificable Provençal who hails from Cannes, France, has turned the tired old venue that long housed the national Tony Roma's chain into a fresh replica of a French brasserie.

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/brass ... age-critic
And in LEO Weekly:
http://leoweekly.com/dining/brasserie-p ... age-critic

Brasserie Provence
150 N. Hurstbourne Parkway
883-3153
http://BrasserieProvence.com
https://Facebook.com/brasserieprovence
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Re: Brasserie Provence soothes the savage critic

by Leah S » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:58 pm

Ah, one of my favorite places in Louisville. Can't afford it often, but it is wonderful.
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:39 am

I'm still dying to try Brasserie Provence. When I was young and in Europe visiting relatives in Provence, my(faint) memory was of rustic herb infused meats and cheeses, and tables laden with simple fare. Why the high prices? I seem to remember you have been a couple of times before, so what would you recommend on the entree side? Must go soon. Thanks for the entertaining review.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:21 am

This has turned into a "go to" place for me for good food, and an environment where I feel very much like a part of the family! I have been going here since they opened, and have never been disappointed. The food, service, overall appeal of it never wear thin.

My only gripe about the review was the 'health report' at the beginning....made me think that Robin is taking a page out of Nancy's book for the build up, and let down.....thankfully, there was no let down....just a downer of an opening.....BTW, hope you're better Robin.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:46 am

Bill Veneman wrote:BTW, hope you're better Robin.

Thanks, Bill, I'm fine! The drugs nipped the plague in the bud, but then I had to live with the side effects for a week. :roll: