Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Is size important? Well, yes. Yes it is.

by Carla G » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:51 pm

We've spoken about so many different aspects re: dining in this forum. Not just the food quality but the level of service, piercings (yeah or nay on your server), noise level, lighting, and right down to the ice level in your soft drink. Today I am asking about the size of your table at which you are seated.

Personally I've had several excellent dinners ruined (at least for me) because we were shoe-horned into a tiny table with too many other tables right under our elbows. I realize restaurants want to maximize their dollars per square foot but geez Louise! My Thanksgiving meal was darkened because of this practice. We were a three top, one of which was a tall well over 6 foot tall male, seated at a deuce set for three with another 6 top and a 4 top right at out elbows. I had to excuse myself to the woman sitting at the table behind me just so I could pull out my chair in order to sit down. That is too close. Every time someone walked to the buffet line we had to scoot our chairs forward and lean over the table. We ate our entire meal this way. In fact, our table barely held our three plates, three bread plates , glassware and silverware. And it wasn't just us, all the diners were crowded. This is no way to enjoy a meal. The food itself was excellent but the dining experience was so uncomfortable I am not likely to return. And that makes me sad indeed because in my mind it's the cooking that's the most difficult to master. I think everyone in the restaurant would have had a far better experience had about 3 four tops been removed. That would have reduced the seating in the dining room from roughly 115 to 103 ( give or take.) .

So, anyone else find this disconcerting or do I just need to get a grip and stop complaining? Is it enough to pay to eat well or are we also paying for a pleasant dining experience?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Is size important? Well, yes. Yes it is.

by Mark R. » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:39 pm

Carla, you are certainly not alone in finding this to be annoying. These days for me restaurants with tight seating areas are impossible because of my wheelchair but even prior to that tight seating certainly doesn't enhance the dining experience! Especially in the case of a buffet where you were it's certainly not warranted nor acceptable. At least if it was a sitdown restaurant the only people who would be facing the maze on a regular basis would be the waitstaff but for buffet it's everyone! Hopefully, the restaurant will realize this and not overcrowd things for future buffets.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

Re: Is size important? Well, yes. Yes it is.

by Adam C » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:53 pm

I drive my wife crazy in that every time we go out and are being seated I inevitably change where they want to seat us and choose the table myself.