Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rob S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:42 am

Diamond Station reopened - anyone been?

by Rob S » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:59 pm

Has anyone been to the reopened Diamond Station Pub? They don't have a web page so I can't find a menu. What's the food and vibe like?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Diamond Station reopened - anyone been?

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:22 pm

That's the cool little place on Bardstown just out from the Douglass Loop that later turned into ... Zaytun? If they put it back like it used to be, I'd be very happy. :)

This is news to me, though. Anyone?
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:07 pm

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:15 pm

Hey Robin, I'm pretty sure this is the old Diamond storefront spot that is just north of where Zaytun was (next building up toward Douglass Loop). It originally was an old Diamond gas station but was converted to a couple of different restaurants. The last tenet was the seafood place that was owned by the same family as Zaytun.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:Hey Robin, I'm pretty sure this is the old Diamond storefront spot that is just north of where Zaytun was (next building up toward Douglass Loop). It originally was an old Diamond gas station but was converted to a couple of different restaurants. The last tenet was the seafood place that was owned by the same family as Zaytun.

Yep, you're right and I'm wrong, Steve. I loved it as the original Diamond's. Then it became a Persian quick-service place for a while, run by a guy from the same family as Zaitun, I think.

And then they got into that mess where they created a Fish-Fry House name and logo that looked almost exactly like The Fishery. I think they were lucky that it didn't lead to litigation, and (obviously) it didn't last.

If they can make it look like the original Diamond Station, it'll be awesome. Wasn't Mike Driskell (sp?) the chef there?
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
. Wasn't Mike Driskell (sp?) the chef there?

Yes and co-owner
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Kristen M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:12 am

by Kristen M » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi, folks -- long-time lurker, first time poster... I had some information on this one so I thought I'd finally add my two cents.

Yes, this is the new, old Diamond Station. It is not Diamante, if that's what you might be remembering -- I think that was the first restaurant that went in after the old Diamond Station closed following a change of management. This incarnation is owned by one of the Diamond Station's original owners and a partner, who runs the show in the kitchen. Their goal is to be a laid-back, approachable neighborhood bar and grill where "not fancy" does NOT mean the same thing as "not good quality." They've only been open for about a month, and they're taking a little time to shake things out, work on their menu, see what works and what doesn't, that sort of thing. The menu is mostly pub fare, but I call it (with admitted bias because I know the owners) pub fare made with love -- for example, all the sauces are made in house per the chef/partner's own recipes, and the ridiculously good fried pickles are hand-battered habagardils. So they're really putting an effort into serving food that's not only easy on the wallet but also high-quality.

And for you night owls on the south end of the Highlands who've ever found yourself looking for dinner past 10 p.m. on a weeknight (or past 11 p.m. on a weekend), they serve food till 4 a.m. seven days a week.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:22 pm

That's good to hear, now I might give it a try. From the outside, the place looks quite uninspiring. With other similarly priced eateries opening in the area -- going to Dundee Gastropub tonight, while Brownie's new location opened a week or two ago -- the competition may be stiff.
no avatar
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:35 am

Never having been in the building, but by it a million times, I always sort of thought Diamond Station and Left Field Lounge were the same thing. :?
no avatar
User

Kristen M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:12 am

by Kristen M » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:24 pm

You should stop by and check it out sometime -- they are good neighbors with their friends at Left Field, but they're definitely not the same thing. It's a friendly, laid-back place to grab a good burger and watch a game, and they have a pretty diverse beer selection. You might even see a few familiar faces behind the bar from other Highlands-area spots. And on a cold, damp winter night, their buffalo chicken mac and cheese really hits the spot...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Kristen M wrote:You should stop by and check it out sometime -- they are good neighbors with their friends at Left Field, but they're definitely not the same thing.

Thanks for jumping in to tell us about it, Kristen! I'm glad you came. Now that you've broken the ice, don't be a stranger around here! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:45 am

I'm now doomed to eat here based off the presence of buffalo chicken mac and cheese. Thanks :D
no avatar
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:09 am

There's a pita place in that same strip, now, too. I think the sign said, Eat a Pita.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:11 am

Gordon M Lowe wrote:There's a pita place in that same strip, now, too. I think the sign said, Eat a Pita.

This place was on Bardstown Rd near Bonnycastle and recently moved.

Pretty good food.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:19 am

Steve Shade wrote:
Gordon M Lowe wrote:There's a pita place in that same strip, now, too. I think the sign said, Eat a Pita.

This place was on Bardstown Rd near Bonnycastle and recently moved.

Pretty good food.

Ok, that makes sense now, because there was a familiar looking guy in some sort of animal suit outside advertising the place. :)
Next