Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

El Mundo appreciation thread (NOT A RESURRECTION)

by Jeremy J » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:00 am

There has been a lot of hard mud slung, and I'm not interested in debating who is right or wrong, but in the interest of fairness, I feel that someone should say something nice...after all, El Mundo's success is not a fluke.

My wife and I have been together for 10 years...about 6 years in, we broke up (very briefly) and when we got back together we went to El Mundo for an amazing meal. A meal that was so good that it stands up in my mind and really made the (seriously special) occasion feel even more special than it was.

In fact, while I think Joe could have handled his initial response better in other threads, he has been a fantastic host/cook, to the point of remembering my wife and I's names before he even had part ownership in the restaurant. I have never met such a warm welcoming member of the kitchen. I know that it is a small place, and the esoteric nature of trying to accommodate everyone while trying to also give everyone a shot at a table can lead to what would normally be considered questionable restaurant behavior.

Again, I'm not trying to defend anyone, and I'm not trying to say that Marie didn't have a good point previously, I'm just saying, for the record, that:
I love El Mundo. I realize it may not be for everyone. I can't wait to go back. I hope everyone has a great night, wherever they dine.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: El Mundo appreciation thread (NOT A RESURRECTION)

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:05 am

Jeremy J wrote:There has been a lot of hard mud slung, and I'm not interested in debating who is right or wrong, but in the interest of fairness, I feel that someone should say something nice...after all, El Mundo's success is not a fluke.

I agree. I love El Mundo, I have loved it since it opened (in 1994?) and I have always rated it highly. I've never had a bad meal there. I've never had bad service there.

But that being said, Jeremy, you ARE resurrecting the thread, and I did ask that folks not do that. Before this one slides downhill like the others, let's just agree to move on, okay? We can talk about EM again - the subject is not banned - but for the short term, let's just let the wounds heal.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:51 am

I have nothing to add to El Mundo, but I do want to respond to the phrase "a lot of hard mud slung". I don't like characterizing customer complaints in that manner. This forum should be equally accessible for those wanting to legitimately complain about or criticize a restaurant as it is to those who want to praise one. Marie and Natalie's complaints were heartfelt, genuine, and well-stated. Obviously, people can disagree with them, but I do not think it is accurate or a good precedent for this forum to label legitimate complaints or criticism as mud slinging.
no avatar
User

MichelleJ

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am

Highlands

by MichelleJ » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:48 am

I just want to second Ron's statement. I don't think there was any mud slung toward El Mundo at all. Actually it seemed to like a lot of us were pleading with them to please get a little better service since we all seem to think they have really, really good food and a lot of us would like to go there more often but don't because of the service.
Consuming Louisville
very good things to do, buy & eat in the River City

http://www.consuminglouisville.com
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:58 am

I'm with Ron. Customer complaints should be allowed. Robin has pretty good judgement IMO of when a thread goes postal.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:20 am

That's fine. We can drop it. The mud slinging comment was meant to cover the heated-ness of the debate, not the customer complaints. Obviously praise and criticism is the lifeblood of the forum and I would never want that to change...I guess I was just thinking letting the woulds heal as Robin said, and I just wanted to say something nice, it wasn't intended to be a resurrection or debate.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:39 am

Jeremy J wrote:That's fine. We can drop it. The mud slinging comment was meant to cover the heated-ness of the debate, not the customer complaints. Obviously praise and criticism is the lifeblood of the forum and I would never want that to change...I guess I was just thinking letting the woulds heal as Robin said, and I just wanted to say something nice, it wasn't intended to be a resurrection or debate.

Screw you buddy!

I mean umm...you're a good good boy. :P
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:50 am

that's it...I'm calling up Keith and we're coming to your house...watch out, pal!
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:54 am

it's ok, Bigtime has my back.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:23 pm

I missed a bunch of really entertaining drama, didn't I?

Drat!

El Mundo has pretty good grub. I can't say much for the service, but no one has ever been outright rude to me there, and I really don't expect much from a burrito joint. As long as they don't keep me waiting too long for the next beer, I'm okay with the place.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:01 pm

Clay Cundiff wrote:I really don't expect much from a burrito joint.

You think of El Mundo as a burrito joint? Interesting ... I wonder if you might be happier saving a little money by going to Qdoba or Moe's.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

EM

by Sonja W » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:23 pm

To be honest, the critical mass of positive feedback on El Mundo's food has really piqued my interest. It's now on my shortlist of new (for me) places to check out.
no avatar
User

Tony D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:29 am

by Tony D. » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:11 am

At this point, I'd say we should all go to El Mundo's and see what happens. At least we won't have to resurrect a dead thread.
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

Re: El Mundo appreciation thread (NOT A RESURRECTION)

by Rob_DeLessio » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:13 am

Jeremy J wrote:There has been a lot of hard mud slung, and I'm not interested in debating who is right or wrong, but in the interest of fairness, I feel that someone should say something nice...after all, El Mundo's success is not a fluke.

My wife and I have been together for 10 years...about 6 years in, we broke up (very briefly) and when we got back together we went to El Mundo for an amazing meal. A meal that was so good that it stands up in my mind and really made the (seriously special) occasion feel even more special than it was.

In fact, while I think Joe could have handled his initial response better in other threads, he has been a fantastic host/cook, to the point of remembering my wife and I's names before he even had part ownership in the restaurant. I have never met such a warm welcoming member of the kitchen. I know that it is a small place, and the esoteric nature of trying to accommodate everyone while trying to also give everyone a shot at a table can lead to what would normally be considered questionable restaurant behavior.

Again, I'm not trying to defend anyone, and I'm not trying to say that Marie didn't have a good point previously, I'm just saying, for the record, that:
I love El Mundo. I realize it may not be for everyone. I can't wait to go back. I hope everyone has a great night, wherever they dine.

Excellent post, and something that I will keep fresh in my memory...thank you!
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:15 am

Tony D. wrote:At this point, I'd say we should all go to El Mundo's and see what happens. At least we won't have to resurrect a dead thread.
Just not all at the samt time.....

I jest..
Next