Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

lunch recommendations

no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Re: lunch recommendations

by Adam Robinson » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:09 pm

I'd highly recommend checking out Red Yeti in Jeffersonville. I've eaten there for lunch four or five times now, and I've been pretty impressed every time. Everywhere else mentioned so far is good, too, obviously!
no avatar
User

JimTrimble

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:29 pm

by JimTrimble » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Zanzabar on S. Preston, near Nord's. It's the best of all worlds: steam table lunch, a great bar, and classic arcade games & pinball machines. The owners are old friends of mine, and they have done right by this place!!
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:38 pm

Zanzbar still has their lunch? Great news
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:52 pm

Adam C wrote:Dang, I have never been to Hillbilly Tea... Need to fix that! Anything I MUST try?

I miss the old Cunninghams on 5th and Breck (my dad was a regular there), Baxter Station.. blue collar lunch spots where it is consistent and no frills. Webb's Market is great for this (under 7 bucks for a meat and two sides). When I am going to lunch (and this will sound weird) I don't want to think about it much just go to the spot I know is going to have what I need (good food). I am not looking for much of an experience unless I can acquire some new bad jokes haha. And under 20$. Spending more than that for lunch is, in my opinion, kind of silly.

El Mundo is open for lunch? I didn't know that. I really wish the Twig and Leaf would acquire someone or some sort of rejuvenated spirit and become edible and hospitable again. Like a total overhaul. It would be perfect. But oh well. Thanks for the recs though!

I like all the places Robin is recommending but other than Shady Lane Cafe none of them are blue collar type places.

My two biggest recommendations for what you are looking for are:
1. Shady Lane Cafe. Has beer if I remember correctly and serves an awesome lunch.
2. Spring Street Bar and Grill
3. Food For the Soul (which is a legit meat and 3 place) http://www.food4thesoullouisville.com/menu.php

And I agree. Someone should take over or buy out Twig & Leaf, that building and that location are just to awesome to be doing so poorly. My wife and I have eaten there once in the six years we have lived in Louisville.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Eve Lee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Highlands

by Eve Lee » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:38 pm

How about Mark's Feed Store? Back in my carnivore days, I used to dig the sandwich and sides. All good—and cheap! And yes, they have beer.
no avatar
User

Allen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Valley Station, Kentucky

by Allen P » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Come on out to the Southwest End of town.

Kathy and Joe's place is awesome and Kathy will personally back up their burger. You have to try the southern burger it has home made pimento cheese on it and a bourbon bbq sauce. And home made chips.

Allen
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Wow these are awesome! Thank you! The cottage inn.. dang. I LOVED Mr Z's on Third and Breckinridge (I wonder what is going on in THAT space?) when I was both an employee and student at Spalding. I would sneak away to a back booth to milk the clock, read my book, drink a pot of coffee, and chain smoke cigarettes.. ah I miss those days (sometimes ha).

But my favorite was how the owners (who now own cottage inn I believe) recognized me as the guy who liked brown gravy being that I always asked for it. So each time I would be in line for the steam table Mrs. Z would say in her Croatian English, "You want the gravy, Guy?" Yes please. And she would happily pour an entire ladle of brown gravy over my entire plate. I thought I was in heaven haha.. I remember the cottage inn as having some righteous chicken livers too.

Never been to Coach Lamp for lunch (dinner only) and it's been a while at that. Good to know they serve lunch. Will investigate.
Have a hard time going back to Spring Street as I worked there as the short order guy back in the mid 90's (that position doubled as the janitor) but the food was ok. I am sure I could go back and dig on some lunch.
My mom has been preaching Shady Lane forever. I will check it out.
How did I forget Check's? I love Check's!
Kathy and Joe's sounds interesting too. Since I started selling real estate I am all over the county all the time and I am frequently am in that area.
Highland Taproom severs lunch? I love that area and am a little stoked on the new Mellow Mushroom opening up but I say "a little" because I absolutely hate parking around that area these days. Thank you!! Oh and keep 'em comin. :)
Previous