Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ reviewer heads over to the Rover

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Well, well, well. The CJ reviews The Irish Rover. Coincidence with Ms Flexy's remarks on HotBytes? Who knows ... back in the day, I used to have to turn in my review about a week in advance, but Ms. Flexy's post sure seems like a good excuse to run over for some bubble & squeak and a report on deadline.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /19268579/
User

Allen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Valley Station, Kentucky

Re: CJ reviewer heads over to the Rover

by Allen P » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:39 pm

Now that was a nice review... I think it might have been a pleasant coincidence!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:29 pm

Allen P wrote:Now that was a nice review... I think it might have been a pleasant coincidence!

Allen, I'm inclined to agree. Given the timing of The Flex Report, they could have jumped in, run over to the Rover and turned around a review on deadline. But honestly? I don't see either current CJ management or Ms Miller doing that.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:01 pm

Tomorrow is the National Smokeout. I remember how bad it was in the Rover and many other places when you had to walk through the very smoky bar to get to a table. Smokefree Louisville has made the city so pleasant. Smokefree Ky will be introduced next month, please call you reps in the Ky Senate with your support!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Linda C wrote:I remember how bad it was in the Rover and many other places when you had to walk through the very smoky bar to get to a table.

I had forgotten that! As much as I enjoyed the Rover's style, the smoke did put me off.

Although to be fair, if you travel in Ireland, you'll be hard-pressed to find a smoke-free pub! (I assume that hasn't changed, although when I saw restaurants in Italy go smoke-free in the early 2000's - and Italians obeying the rules, Mamma Mia! - I realized that nothing is forever. :lol:
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:21 pm

Nice review. She described the Rover perfectly.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:40 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Linda C wrote:Although to be fair, if you travel in Ireland, you'll be hard-pressed to find a smoke-free pub! (I assume that hasn't changed,
Ah, son....we gotta get you back for a visit! It's just the opposite.... Ireland was the first country in the world to go "smoke-free" in public places - including pubs - back in 2004. The public ban, plus ciggs at about $16/pack, means that you'll rarely see the Irish with smokes, these days.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:50 am

Yes, indeed! All Irish pubs are smoke free, as are Scottish pubs and many more. What shocked me was on our last visit to France to find all places smoke free. These countries have free health care, so curbing public smoking only helped in medical costs.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:13 am

I remember how bad it was in the Rover...when you had to walk through the very smoky bar

Back in the mid-90s when I sometimes smoked a cigar in a restaurant's bar while we had drinks prior to seating in a dining area, we went to Irish Rover one evening. I fired one up as we went in. Just inside Mr. R. stopped me and said he had only one rule about smoking in the bar and that's no cigars. All he had to do was say that as I am easy despite the clouds of far less pleasant cigarette smoke permeating the area at the time. Cigarettes are the Miller Lite of the tobacco world and I was into at least a good dunkel or bock. But he was quite cheerful & friendly in his manner. I looked about for a place to put it out and he actually offered his palm! While I don't remember where I actually put it out, his gesture is still memorable after a couple of decades.
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:54 am

Linda C wrote:...These countries have free health care,

????
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:46 am

Why the ???? Bill?

Bill P wrote:
Linda C wrote:...These countries have free health care,

????
Alison Hanover
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:56 am

Alison-
While I personally favor universal healthcare beyond what is available in this country, I was merely trying to point out that the care provided in most of the industrialized world, sans USA, is hardly "free". It is more a matter where a society wishes to allocate its resources.