Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Re: Dundee Gastropub

by Adam Robinson » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:02 pm

For what it's worth, their new sandwiches are actually darned good for the price. Some of the holdover items from the previous menu are still pretty low fare. Either way, I'm a fan of the place and usually drop in once every two weeks or so. I do wish they'd get a better variety of beer and make sure they have them all on tap every night, though. For some reason they always seem to be missing whichever draft beer I want ;)
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:29 pm

My son and I just ate dinner there. We had been to Dundee Tavern once and were incredibly underwhelmed. This new place, however, is fantastic and I can't wait to go back. We started off with the Wings and Things appetizer. It consisted of 6 wings (choice of sauces, we chose buffalo), a couple of slices of smoked sausage quesadilla, and chips with a pepper jack/spinach dip. The wings were large and looked really good. My son inhaled those. I wasn't very taken with the quesadilla when I read the description but it was actually pretty darn good. Smoked sausage, barbeque sauce, ranch, and cheese. My experience with smoked sausage is limited- I just use it as a meat in stir-fry. But now I'm seeing a whole new way to enjoy it! The prize of the plate, however, was the dip. A nice kick- my nose would not stop running- with good consistency. I would go back just for more of the dip alone.

I ordered the pork and greens and my son order the pub burger. My meal came with bread and a side salad. Soft warm bread slices with real butter. The salad was spinach with feta, dried cranberries, and the most amazing dressing I've ever had- maple syrup vinaigrette. The perfect blend of sweet and sour. I would not judge anyone who wanted to just pour it straight into their mouth. Our server confirmed that they make their dressings, and pretty much everything else, on-site. The meal itself was presented in a very appealing manner. Tender pork over a bed of collard greens, over a pool of white beans. Topped with sweet potato crisps. Large delicious pork rinds on the side! My only complaint is that the pork needed some salt and seasoning. But better under-seasoned than over. As much as a carnivore as I am, I have to say that the beans were the star of the show. Next time I'll probably order the bean soup appetizer to take home for lunch the next day (plus some of those pork rinds on the side if they'll do it!). The collard greens were't bad at all; this from someone who admittedly does not like collard greens. If you do like collard greens then you might even bump the description up to delicious.

My son's burger and fries were good. Pretty standard, nothing special about them. The sandwiches come with regular fries, not the truffle fries that are featured as an appetizer.

We left good and stuffed, with plenty of leftovers for tomorrow. I have a group of friends and co-workers who meet monthly for dinner at local restaurants and I can't wait to recommend Dundee Gastropub to them!

User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:50 am

This one is on the radar, fur sur!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:50 pm

I agree that the burger is pretty standard. For $11, though, it should be better than that. I liked it the first time I went, found it pretty so-so the second time. They did have quite a crowd, so it appears to be doing well.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:25 am

Yeah, I don't get the hype. We went for our company Christmas party and I was completely underwhelmed with the food. Hot Brown Nachos shouldn't ever be a thing. It just shouldn't. The "mornay" was bland and the cubed ham refused to stay on the chips. And as soon as the heat left the plate it was a cold soupy mess.
My dining companion got the chicken wings with two sauces. Instead he was brought the boneless wings, no explanation, but he rolled with it. We were shocked to discover that they were bought in from Restaurant Depot (or similar) and not hand cut and breaded in house. The sauces were good, not spectacular. I had the Short Rib Grilled Cheese. It was average at best. The rib meat wasn't blowing me out of the water and the cheese was more of a filler than a feature.

They have a packed house on a regular basis, so I'm going to say "it's just not for me" and live and let live. But I'll not be back.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:34 pm

RonnieD wrote:Yeah, I don't get the hype.

If you had eaten at the prior operation, the current one is a big jump up. I think thats the reason for the excitement. Also, its been a neighborhood establishment for years so I think people are just hoping it succeeds.
I eat, therefore I am.
Previous