Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

bone-headed article from the C-J.....on bourbon!

by Willie Myers » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:01 am

I came across an article on the C-J website today entitled "3 Good Bourbons under $24". I decided to use one of my monthly accesses to give it a read. It was published by Kim Kolarik of C-J on Sat., Nov. 15.
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/li ... /19082541/

It opens with a video. The video features a bartender - - one J. Rosser Lomax - - a bartender in NYC. Right away, I'm thinking "why go to NYC to find a bartender to talk about bourbon?" I'd say we have more than a hundred *very* knowledgeable guys and gals behind the bars of L'ville that could've offered info here.

Anyway, J. Rosser rambles on about bourbon as a mixer, or bourbon shots, etc. and the only thing you're really looking for (for under $24) is high-proof, i.e. a quick way to get slammed. He's got a Rebel Yell, an Old Crow and a Wild Turkey 101 on the bar as his examples of "3 Good Bourbons under $24". Then, he floors me!......He pulls down a bottle of Blanton's! If *ANYONE* here in town can find Blanton's for under $24.......puh-LEEEZE let me know where?

And it made me wonder....did Kim, or anyone from the C-J, even look at this drivel before publishing?
Embarrassing, to say the least...
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: bone-headed article from the C-J.....on bourbon!

by Carla G » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:45 am

I think we've all said enough about the incompetency of the CJ and Gannet family of papers in general. All goes to prove what I've been saying for a while - on line availability of news and info isn't killing newspapers. Newspapers are committing suicide with their own idiocy .
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:23 am

Howcast, which produced the video, seems to be a New York-based video content mill, so I'd bet there's some sort of licensing arrangement between them and Gannett. I saw a similar arrangement between the Houston Chronicle and a content mill called Demand Media. Demand would pay a freelancer $50 or so to write a general interest piece with some Houston slant and the Chronicle would post it on their website. In the bourbon video case it looked like the writer spend a few minutes coming up with a wraparound for a video that was made in New York, and voila! you've got a web story.
No slam intended against the writer; I'm sure the assignment came down from above. We've all got to pay the bills.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:45 am

I'm going to tread lightly here, because I have a strong tendency to rant on this topic, having been a reporter at the old Louisville Times and then the CJ under the Bingham family for 15 years, and left the building in disgust in 1990, after they killed the Times, batted away a journalist-union movement that I was a part of, and Gannett/USA Today came in the door, led by Alan Neuharth in his sharkskin polyester suit.

But I digress: The Binghams were all about community service. They weathered lots of storms because they stood by their view of the region's moral compass and spoke it loud on the editorial page, while keeping opinion out of the news pages as much as humanly possible. (It's true. I was there. I can testify, because being a hard-left hippie myself, lord knows I tried, but they never let me get away with it.)

Anyway, here's the gist of it: The older Binghams were satisfied to take a 2 percent annual return on investment, and that was enough to make them one of the wealthiest families in Louisville. The younger generation wanted more, and that started the earthquake that led to the sale. Gannett (which Neuharth once said is pronounced "Gan-NETT," with emphasis on the "net") wanted 21 percent, and they wanted it as fast as possible.

To be fair, they did it via early retirement and didn't lay off transition staff (although they strong-armed some eligible folks to take that retirement). I'm told that true layoffs or "reductions in force" have become a regular thing in recent years.

The staff is down to a bare minimum. Even most copy editing is done off-site at regional facilities (and that may answer your specific question, Willie).

The staff that remains is dispirited. Bitter, Overworked. The one thing that amazes me is that they still hit an occasional home run, but it's rare, and the overall product - no longer the state's newspaper of record by any imagining - is almost embarrassing.

Initially Neuharth told us we would be the "jewel in our crown. We'll never change anything. We'll never make you into a little USA Today." We all knew he was lying then. Now the USA Today section is possibly the most professional part of the paper.

Gannett is getting the profit they wanted. And this may help explain why I am so anti-corporatist, although I was probably there before this party started.

Oh, gee whillikers. I was going to keep this short, wasn't I? :)

Signed, "Bitter since 1990 and loving it" :lol: )
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:49 pm

interesting comments, all....
but I *still* haven't found that $24 Blantons!! :lol: :lol:

but seriously, what really got to me regarded Richard S.'s comment, "...it looked like the writer spend a few minutes coming up with a wraparound for a video that was made in New York, and voila! you've got a web story."
It's the idea that, if it's "web" - it's golden...sacrosanct....hell - it might even go "viral"!
In other words, it's brain-dead drivel being (poorly) passed off as journalism...
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:04 pm

We have 50ml bottles of Blantons that are well under $50. $8.99 to be exact.

I get the point. Blantons is $50-$60 per 750ml everywhere in the state.

At least it wasn't another Pappy Van Winkle article.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:51 pm

Eric Hall wrote:At least it wasn't another Pappy Van Winkle article.

:lol:
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:12 am

If any of you find Blantons for under $25, I can guarantee you I will never diet again. :D