Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Vietnam Kitchen

no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

Vietnam Kitchen

by Amy A » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:30 am

It's shameful, I know, but I haven't been. We've tried several times to go there but we always seem to forget the day they are closed and go that day.

So we are going on Friday.

I've been trying to find a menu for them online to no avail. Does anyone know if there is one lurking around on the net somewhere that evaded me? I love spicy. Like REALLY REALLY spicy. I want to make sure I pick the perfect dish, although I hear that is almost every dish there.[/i]
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:42 am

if you love really spicy, get the hieu teu sate (i have butchered the spelling of that) and tell them you like it very hot.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Vietnam Kitchen menu.

by Doogy R » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:22 am

Last edited by Doogy R on Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Mike G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:15 pm

downtown

by Mike G » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:23 am

This place is one of my favorites. Nothing like a bowl of HOT & SOUR SOUP and Pork in a clay pot.....this is very yummy indeed!!!!
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:48 am

I highly recommend F4 with vermicelli. Of course, there's nothing on their menu that is bad. It's all good.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:43 am

Yes, K8. Hu Tieu Sate is my favorite spicy dish in Louisville. I just wish my wife would let me order it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Vietnam Kitchen

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:02 am

Amy A wrote: I love spicy. Like REALLY REALLY spicy. I want to make sure I pick the perfect dish, although I hear that is almost every dish there.[/i]

At the time I wrote this article about hot and spicy dishes at several local ethnic eateries, the only dish on the menu at VK listed with three chile peppers was <i>Gào xào ca ry cay</i> (green chicken curry, $9). They refused to make it for me "Vietnam hot," but what I got was hot enough to singe my eyebrows.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

Re: Vietnam Kitchen

by MikeG » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:55 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Amy A wrote: I love spicy. Like REALLY REALLY spicy. I want to make sure I pick the perfect dish, although I hear that is almost every dish there.[/i]

At the time I wrote this article about hot and spicy dishes at several local ethnic eateries, the only dish on the menu at VK listed with three chile peppers was <i>Gào xào ca ry cay</i> (green chicken curry, $9). They refused to make it for me "Vietnam hot," but what I got was hot enough to singe my eyebrows.

I've never tried anything especially spicy at Vietnam Kitchen, I'll have to look into that. I had worked my way up to "Thai Hot" at Sala Thai but havent had anything there for a bit. I may not be able to take it again.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:32 am

K8 all the way...........K6 as an alternate.

Don't wear a nice shirt, it's IMPOSSIBLE to not splatter yourself. Trust me on this one...
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:45 am

Adrian Baldwin wrote:K8 all the way...........K6 as an alternate.

Don't wear a nice shirt, it's IMPOSSIBLE to not splatter yourself. Trust me on this one...

This is so true. I used to go to VK for lunch during the work week a lot, and inevitably I would ruin a tie or a dress shirt with K8 or K6. I used to threaten to wear a plastic poncho when I ate those dishes.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:58 am

^ it's even worse when you get it to go. Impossible to eat w/ the plastic silverware they give you.

When I worked over there, I convinced my office to give it a try, so i brought back 5-6 orders of K8. Several broken forks/knives later, eveyrone in the office had their shirts & ties (mostly white) dotted heavily w/ sauce. :D
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:21 am

I learned that it helps to get down real low, real close to the bowl. It also helps to eat slowly, but it tastes so damn good that I can't help slurping it up like a hog at the trough.
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:32 am

Thanks guys. I can not wait to have my eyebrows singed.

After a solid year of frequenting Shalimar weekly, they will finally make my husband and I's dish as hot as we want it. It took many attempts and raised eyebrows from our server (who is ALWAYS our server) but now he sort of nods knowingly and says, EXTRA EXTRA hot, right?
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:37 am

My mouth is positively watering at the mere mention of VK!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:54 am

Me too. It's been too long, think I might try to convince the wife that it's time to go back tomorrow night before heading to Indy for holiday festivities.
Next