Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Rumplings. Clearly the place to be on Friday Night

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:46 pm

Alanna, be sure to introduce yourselves to those nice guys when you go in, so they'll be able to have a laugh over this with you.

And get well soon, by the way! Thinking good thoughts your way.

Dustin and Ethan, thanks so much for jumping over here. To me, this level of commitment and passion for what you do bodes very well for your ventures as long-time stars on our wacky-but-wonderful food scene.
no avatar
User

David Green

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:36 pm

by David Green » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:03 am

When I read Dustin was going to open Rumplings, I thought that man is going to be slammed with diners. Great concept, and hope he finds more dining room space and a carry-out window soon.
User

Laura B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 am

Miami, Florida

by Laura B » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:56 pm

I sure wish they could take over the now dark space of Riviera Maya on Frankfort! :?
When in doubt, add more wine.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:18 am

Laura B wrote:I sure wish they could take over the now dark space of Riviera Maya on Frankfort! :?

It's gone? :(

I guess it says something that I didn't notice.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Yes, one closer to home would be nice!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

JulieTruaxBallard

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:21 am

by JulieTruaxBallard » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:28 pm

We went on Saturday night and the food was amazing. My husband and I might have been the couple who told RonnieD the food was definitely worth the wait. Their current system of not taking new orders until seats open up is working. People seem to understand that once they are done eating, it's time to get up so new customers can have their seats. It will be interesting to see how it works once they get a liquor license. People may want to linger and have another beer instead of turning their seats over to someone else.
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:39 pm

119 Saint Matthews Avenue

by CrisBanaszynski » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:27 pm

I stopped by Rumplings last night about 930-945 and there was only a couple ahead of me. It took about 3 minutes to order and about 5 minutes to get my food. In that 8 minute span I took the time to look over the menu and I have to say it is very well written and about as straightforward as it can be without looking unintelligible. The guy taking my order was very pleasant and being able to watch the guys put my meal together was an added bonus.

Once my food got to me it was game on! I ordered the piggy which was pork belly in pork broth, with a beef and a pork dumpling. The dumplings were first to be finished and they were deliciously fried with a crisp outer skin and the fillings were savory and delicious! The pork belly was perfectly cooked, not too stringy but perfectly chewy. The broth was smokey and porky and very rich. The noodles...the noodles were AMAZING! Cooked wonderfully and great flavor for being so simple. And watching the noodles being made was pretty cool too. I have to say I don't normally gush about food because I have been in the business so long I have become numb and jaded, but every once in a while I have a meal that reminds me why I have been doing this for so long.

I love the space, it is what a noodle shop should look like. I love the menu, it is artfully crafted and entices your senses. I love love love the food even after one meal and I look forward to coming back tonight and trying the Kentucky because I love brisket and cooking one every day only makes me want to eat some every day. Reed Johnson crafting the brisket with the bourbon peppercorn glaze only makes me want it even more. Please keep up the good work and I wish them much success.
Never trust a skinny chef...or a fat vegan
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:31 pm

Sounds like a big hit, and I'm not surprised. I lived around the corner on Cherokee back in the early 90's. I miss that little area.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Finally got to Rumplings tonight! Luck was on our side- as we drove up the block the car in the very first parking spot pulled out, so we were able to park right away. I may have jumped out and ran up to the door in a concentrated effort to beat the three people walking up the sidewalk. It was packed inside and I really didn't want to get stuck waiting outside in the cold. My son and I had to wait awhile for our chance to order and sit, as expected. No big deal. The poor girl who was running dishes had a heck of a time trying to clear a bunch of teenagers out, who were hanging around taking up space while waiting for their couple of friends who were actually eating.

I ordered the Piggy with a beef dumpling and my son ordered the Kentucky, also with a beef dumpling. I've never learned to use chopsticks, so I'm really glad I was tucked back into the corner where no one (but my son) could witness my shameful and messy slurping up the noodles. No graceful transfer from bowl to mouth here!

My Piggy was nothing short of delicious. The pork belly was cooked perfectly and had the perfect ratio of meat to fat. The noodles were chewy and had great flavor. They had substance, which is something I find rare with pasta. I wasn't sold on the dumpling, but that was just my personal taste preference, not anything that the chef did wrong. I'm just not a fan of smoke flavoring. I should have realized when it said smoked brisket that I wouldn't care for it but I clearly wasn't paying attention. Next time I'll try the chicken or veggie.

My son loved his Kentucky and dumpling. It was probably the quietest dinner we've ever had- we were both way too busy slurping to actually engage in any kind of conversation. There ended up being no need to ask for a to-go container, as previously discussed. I made a pretty good dent in my ramen and when I gave up, Matthew asked if he could try it. And apparently by 'try it' he really meant 'finish it'. When he got done there was nothing left to take home.

There was a steady flow of customers the entire time we were there. I can't wait to go back and try the miso and the chicken at some point, if I can manage to talk myself out of the Piggy.
Previous