Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Bistro 42

no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Bistro 42

by Carla G » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:57 pm

(Over 1900 posts under my name so this is not a drive- by.)

I put in a long, demanding day with a strong willed 3 year old and a teething 1 year old. Tonight I did not want to cook and I did want a cocktail. Rather than stop by my usual haunt I thought I'd try Bistro 42 which had been brought to my attention by another poster under a previous "where to eat in the east end and outside of the 265 circle" thread.

I got there just around 5:45pm. Not full or too crowded. Hostess was very sweet and pleasant. Server got to me right away and seemed very congenial if not too aware of the bar offerings. That's ok, not really his bailey wick anyway. He found out the bar gin for me. (Blech!) so I ordered a Beefeaters and soda. Soda because I don't like what tonic does to the flavor of a good gin. It tasted ...well...nasty and not like Beefeaters. I ordered the eggplant parmesan. It was great! A wonderful homemade sauce (I was told) on a plate of properly cooked spaghetti. A couple of small slices of garlic bread on the side. A simple Caesar salad with good crisp lettuce. Very tasty. My good server was attentive without being annoying. This was starting to look like a new place to frequent for quick casual, locally owned dining.

After dinner I ordered a Kahlua, cream and soda (King Alphonse) what I got was half and half on the rocks with soda. Not even enough to color the half and half. When you figure it's a MAYBE 6 oz. Glass filled with ice it wouldn't take 1 ounce of Kahlua to color the half and half. Wow! Just wow! I have never ever been so short shot in my life. Now I am wondering if my gin was Beefeaters (which it certainly did not taste like) or the bar stuff. 10 years of bartending experience and 40 years of tasting gins tells me Bistro 42 has a bad bartender problem.
I doubt I will return.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Bistro 42

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:19 pm

Carla G wrote:10 years of bartending experience and 40 years of tasting gins tells me Bistro 42 has a bad bartender problem.
I doubt I will return.

Sounds like they're busted! :lol:

Thanks for the 411 on 42, Carla!
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Nothing ruins a restaurant for me like watered down cocktails. It puts me straight off me feed.
:lol:
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:18 pm

Steve H wrote:Nothing ruins a restaurant for me like watered down cocktails. It puts me straight off me feed.

Me too! AND I get grumpy. :evil:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:50 pm

Carla G wrote:
Steve H wrote:Nothing ruins a restaurant for me like watered down cocktails. It puts me straight off me feed.

Me too! AND I get grumpy. :evil:

Gives me DT's... :D

My father religiously orders Wild Turkey and Club Soda. I have seen every imaginable ratio of soda to whiskey. I say whiskey because seeing the man since childhood order the same drink all over the continental US and sometimes they don't even bother to inform him what the actual liquid is in the glass. His order NEVER changes, just the color of that whiskey glass.
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:03 pm

I've only had occasion to visit "Bistro 42" for lunch. Good, but (IMO) not worth a special trip, and I've always though their price-value was a little out of alignment...a bit pricey for what you get.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn