Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ runs Tumbleweed's narrative on closing, it seems

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:08 pm

Forgive me, but is this even news? It reads like Tumbleweed's corporate script, putting the best face on a bad situation.

The CJ wrote:Waterfront Tumbleweed closes Saturday
Jere Downs

When Tumbleweed Tex Mex Grill & Margarita Bar closes Saturday on the Ohio River, $1.99 margaritas, a fountain that pumps warm Chile Con Queso, and tastings of tequila commemorate the chain's last day at Waterfront Park.

The end of Tumbleweed's nearly decade-long run on the water leaves the Tex Mex chain free to focus on growing business at 13 other regional restaurants, Tumbleweed CEO Matt Higgins said. Unlike its isolated and unprofitable outpost on the water, most other Tumbleweeds draw diners from bustling local retail hubs like its Outer Loop store near Jefferson Mall, he added.

Full story in the CJ:
http://cjky.it/1utJZ5D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: CJ runs Tumbleweed's narrative on closing, it seems

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:11 pm

The real question: Does Bobby Flay move in here, or the old Lynn's? :)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:05 pm

"Isolated"? Really?! I call TS. (Or at least it rhymes with TS.) :lol:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:59 pm

This is why I consider Insider Louisville a better source than what's left of the C-J:
http://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle_culture/dining/restaurant-roundup-comfy-cow-gets-ceo-austins-kts-sold-8up-opens-ward-426-delayed-tumbleweed-closes/
Steve pegs the problems with TW...
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Robin Garr wrote:The real question: Does Bobby Flay move in here, or the old Lynn's? :)

If he's smart it won't be the old Lynn's. The Tumbleweed is a great location but other than the restaurant there is really nothing to attract people to it. He would be much better off locating someplace downtown where he could draw conventioneers and others come into the downtown area. Also, his name recognition would be able to attract more people coming downtown that don't know about other fine restaurants in the area.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

RobMattheu

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:11 pm

by RobMattheu » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:19 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:The real question: Does Bobby Flay move in here, or the old Lynn's? :)

If he's smart it won't be the old Lynn's. The Tumbleweed is a great location but other than the restaurant there is really nothing to attract people to it. He would be much better off locating someplace downtown where he could draw conventioneers and others come into the downtown area. Also, his name recognition would be able to attract more people coming downtown that don't know about other fine restaurants in the area.

With the location, I think you need something similar in price and atmosphere to Tumbleweed, if only to appeal to the most people and ensure continual table turnover to pay the rent. Could Lynn's pull in the people and do the volume necessary? Does it even fit in with a river atmosphere?
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:02 pm

Carla G wrote:"Isolated"? Really?! I call TS. (Or at least it rhymes with TS.) :lol:

What she said :roll: :mrgreen: :evil:
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Everybody acts like Lynn's is still a thing, but is it really? I mean, is someone going to be foolish enough to enter into the deal she is asking? Or, is someone foolish enough to think she's going to just let it go to the right bidder and walk away without having to have her thumb in the pie somehow? I don't see either being a reality, so I can't imagine that Lynn's is a viable thing. It was kitsch when it was going, but for my money it's over.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY