Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Entertaining friends from out of town

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:11 pm

Last weekend we had friends in from Miami, and took them around to a sampling of local favorites. I had raved about our restaurants for some time, and it was my turn to "put up or shut up!" The only restrictions were that they be casual (our guests only had jeans with them) and reasonably priced.

They were truly impressed, both with the food and with the exceptional service we received! Our visits:

• Hiko-a-mon for Friday dinner . . . always a warm, comfortable, inviting evening! Hiko evidently is currently running the downtown location, but one would never know that as everything was moving smoothly with Kaori at Westport Village!
• Heirloom Restaurant in Midway for Saturday lunch . . . didn't feel like eating at Glitz (although we were there), but one in our party said The Heirloom had the best shrimp & grits she's ever had, and my Korean beef sandwich was no slouch.
• Basa in the evening was as good as always . . . they appear to have slightly changed some portion sizes and recipes over the years, but (a) still a lot to eat, and (b) still wonderful food and service, and (c) it's the same rough price points now as when it opened! We all loved it, as always.
• Mussels & Burger Bar . . . had a wait (on Sunday evening) as usual, but it was worth it . . . burgers perfectly cooked, mussels were wonderful, and the carrot cake is possibly the finest carrot cake in the city of Louisville (it was a special, and it's worth calling to see if it will be available!)
• Monday, we ended up at Guaca-Mole . . . our friend had not only not experienced the range of foods that were offered, but continued to be surprised at the expertise and friendliness of the servers.
• Thuesday we went to Smokey Bones. Yes, it is a chain, but it also offered me a free Vet's Day meal, and I rarely turn down free food! The food was well above average (the four of us had a burger, pulled pork, half BBQ chicken, and combo plate with chicken and brisket), definitely among the best Louisville BBQ places out there, and once again the server was exceptional. I'm beginning to think good service is the norm in this city!

Just wanted to thank these restaurants; we could have chosen many others with possible similar results, but this is where we went this time.
Andrew Mellman