Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Invite for Hotbytes forumites...

no avatar
User

Len Stevens

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 6:30 pm

Louisville

Invite for Hotbytes forumites...

by Len Stevens » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Hello

8up restaurant is gearing up for our public open soon. This week we are getting the kinks worked out with some "dry runs". If you would like to assist us in this process, we would be very grateful. Here's the deal...

There are essentially two sides to our restaurant space. There is the bar side, which has it's own independent kitchen including a wood fired, custom made pizza oven. There is extensive lounge seating in addition to 30 seats at the bar (we can accommodate approx 120 guests total on this side). The menu is less expensive and accessible, yet still very creative. The other side is our more upscale dining space, again with it's own exhibition kitchen. This side seats approx 85 and the menu is much more expressive of Chef Russell Kook's culinary voice.
The following 2 nights (Wed and Thur) we are looking for volunteers to help us. The hours of operation for both nights are 6-9. We are taking reservations for the dining side both nights. We are providing free valet for all guests (we ask you tip the valet) and also will pick up your food bill. All we ask is that you take care of any alcohol ordered.
On the bar side, it it first come, first serve. However this week, we are controlling the flow so that we don't get crushed at one time. If you would like to come to the bar side tomorrow (we have a private party on Thursday), I would need to know how many people you would like to bring and what time. Same deal on the food and beverage.
So how do you make a reservation? Simple, call me tomorrow between 1 pm and 3 pm. Please don't be disappointed if I am unable to meet your needs, but I will try to accommodate as many people as possible. There is a chance that we will be doing the same thing Friday night, but I will make a separate post once I know for sure.
All we ask is that you be aware that this is our first trial run for our staff, so I would appreciate understanding, patience, and kindness. If you are looking to be the first one on Yelp to "review" our space, this is NOT for you. This is my way of thanking the patrons of this amazing sight I have supported since it's inception. So if you love food and drink as much as we do, come join us!

My number is...
502-299-0260
Len Stevens II
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Re: Invite for Hotbytes forumites...

by Alanna H » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:03 pm

What a generous offer! Is there any way to see menus for both settings to get a feel for which would be a better fit for me before calling?
no avatar
User

Len Stevens

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Len Stevens » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:37 pm

We do not have menu's ready for public viewing. We will be tweaking right up to our public opening...and moving forward we anticipate a lot of weekly changes depending on what excites Chef Kook.
Len Stevens II
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:05 am

I'm interested in knowing where the name came from. In the military 8up or "ate up" means you are screwing everything up. You hear it a lot in basic.
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Highlands

by Doug A » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:54 am

Gary Z wrote:I'm interested in knowing where the name came from. In the military 8up or "ate up" means you are screwing everything up. You hear it a lot in basic.

My guess:

Eighth floor.

Up on the roof dining\bar

8up
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:43 am

Doug A wrote:
Gary Z wrote:I'm interested in knowing where the name came from. In the military 8up or "ate up" means you are screwing everything up. You hear it a lot in basic.

My guess:

Eighth floor.

Up on the roof dining\bar

8up

Yep - pretty sure it's that! My husband was a part of the HVAC team that installed all of the sheet metal/duct work/ventilation for this property, including the multiple vent hoods for the multiple kitchens. Hope it is a great success!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:09 pm

And... I'm in!
:mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Len Stevens wrote:On the bar side, it it first come, first serve. However this week, we are controlling the flow so that we don't get crushed at one time. If you would like to come to the bar side tomorrow (we have a private party on Thursday), I would need to know how many people you would like to bring and what time.

Called and left a message. Would love to try the bar side or if you still have room for two in the full service side, it will be my daughter and I at 6 this evening.

Thanks Len, and glad you are back in the game! L&N has been missed by my friends and family!
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:17 pm

Len,
Thanks for the invite. I sent you a PM :-)

Wishing you guys all the best!
Deb
no avatar
User

Len Stevens

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Len Stevens » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:46 pm

I want to thank everyone for their interest and support. We have filled up both sides of the restaurant for Wed and Thur and as I type this, we have a little bit of room early and late Friday. I apologize to those who have called trying to get in. The response has been overwhelming and we are doing our best to accommodate as many people as possible, while still utilizing this time as a training exercise.
To answer a previous question, the name comes from the fact that we occupy the entire 8th floor (rooftop) of the new Hilton Garden Inn. To be clear, we are an independent restaurant that partners with the Hilton. We have 10,000 sq feet of indoor space and come spring, we will debut the 4500 sq foot rooftop bar that has stunning views of the Louisville sky line.
Again, thank you for all your wonderful support and please "like" our FB page for further updates.
Len Stevens II
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:57 pm

One word....wow.

There quite simply isnt another space like it currently in Louisville. Very reminiscent of an upscale Westin lounge and restaurant or something I would have encountered in Manhattan. With the hotel and that restaurant/lounge anchoring the corner of 4th and Chestnut, 4th street along that block is going to explode.
I could definitely see a CVS going in to support out of town guests in need of a snack, a bottle of wine, toiletries or a prescription refill, or even better maybe a locally owned version of what we refer to in New York as bodegas (corner stores). And possibly a couple of lunch spots and or clothing retailers.

Layout:
The lounge and main bar were open with plenty of seating both at the bar and at surrounding couches and nooks. The outdoor space while still being finished looks to be as big if not bigger than the indoor area and will be the hot place to be come spring. Additionally there is a private room off the lounge that could be used for birthdays, small corporate or office events, any type of intimate private celebration and was a very cool addition.
I didnt get a chance to speak with the event manager so I dont know if there is an additional charge for the room or if you simply need to guarantee a certain of spending on food and drink to use it..

The dining room was also very nicely appointed with a smoky intimate look to it. Again very cosmopolitan in nature. It was also broken up a bit so talking quietly at your table wont be hard to do as the walls will block having to compete with everyone else chatting as well. It also has a private dining room available for parties or functions.

Staff:
You could tell they had opening night jitters and were nervous but were already on the ball. You can definitely see Len's training and hand in this. Our server Sarah knew the menu, knew the drinks and was able to quickly and professionally handle everything we needed. The bartender even made custom lemonade for my daughter when she ordered it, we didnt ask for or expect this. But needless to say my daughter was very surprised and pleased.

Food:
My daughter and I ate on the lounge side since I thought the brick oven pizza would appeal to her. She had a goat cheese pizza with rustic bacon and sauteed leeks. It was perfectly done. The crust was the right balance of being able to hold all the toppings without becoming chewy. I had the fried chicken sliders and an order of pommes frites. And it filled me up.
The menu for the main restaurants was divided into small, medium and large plates. The prices for the large plates topped out around mid-twenties and the dishes in all three groups looked awesome. They are doing a crispy smoked spanish octopus that I can not wait to dig into. They also had an excellent looking dessert menu which included pumpkin cheesecake that I cant wait to go back and try!

According to Len the full opening is Monday and we will very likely be there.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:30 pm

Thanks for the update Doug. We're going tomorrow evening and eating on the restaurant side. Sounds like it's going to be a great experience!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"