Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Louisville's 2nd Best Baguette

no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Louisville's 2nd Best Baguette

by Ray Griffith » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:07 am

Where does everyone get their baguettes on Mondays when Blue Dog is closed?

Ermin's is ok. Any others?
(not a fan of Lotsa Pasta's.)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Louisville's 2nd Best Baguette

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:57 am

Hmm, interesting question. Blue Dog is so far off the chain - and within walking distance of our house - that we don't DO alternatives. :mrgreen:

But back in the day, Breadworks used to make what seemed like a decent baguette until Blue Dog came along. Maybe they still do?

Or make your own!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:13 pm

All the bread at Wiltshire Pantry is great. In fact, pretty much everything at Wiltshire Pantry is great.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Iggy C wrote:All the bread at Wiltshire Pantry is great. In fact, pretty much everything at Wiltshire Pantry is great.

Do they sell them retail, Iggy? Dang! I need to get over there. I love Wiltshire on Market, so I'm bound to love the Pantry, right? :)
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:29 pm

I am not 100% sure they have a baguette. I might be misremembering. But they definitely sell loaves of bread, and their sandwiches and pastries are a hair better than Atlantic #5, Jackknife and Ghyslain IMHO.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:46 pm

Ghyslain has pretty good baguettes. Breadworks is ok. You may want to try some of the baguettes sold in the health food stores, as well.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:13 pm

The Bakery at Sullivan does a nice baguette, too.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:23 pm

Marsha, the Bakery certainly makes consistently good product. I've long felt, though, that its focus is on a commercial style, getting grads ready to go to work at Kroger and other large producers, rather than imparting the kind of crazed perfectionism (like Bob "Blue Dog" Hancock) that puts the best artisan bakers over the top. I wouldn't put The Bakery's breads in the same league with Blue Dog. Am I offbase about this?
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Second a damn fine baguette at Ghyslain.
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:16 pm

I've actually gotten some very good bread at Fresh Market. Their Rosemary Sea Salt Rolls are wonderful!!! Also had some very good baguettes from there...
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Wiltshire is a great place to start, but you'd be better off buying 2 baguette and freezing one from blue dog. Baking in San Francisco and New Orleans. Nothing comes close. I am not sure how lucky you know you guys are to have a place like this in your town. If they had the time and energy to compete in the coup de monde they would sweep it.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:39 pm

Wiltshire Pantry definitely has baguettes, and they are great. They also sometimes make a lavender baguette ( unfortunately I've not yet been able to try it).

Thanks for the Ghyslain suggestion- I'll have to remember that.
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Highlands

by Doug A » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:00 pm

Nora Boyle wrote:Wiltshire is a great place to start, but you'd be better off buying 2 baguette and freezing one from blue dog. Baking in San Francisco and New Orleans. Nothing comes close. I am not sure how lucky you know you guys are to have a place like this in your town. If they had the time and energy to compete in the coup de monde they would sweep it.

+1

We buy an extra or two on Saturday evening, freeze the extra, and that gets us through to Tuesday.

Agreed, the more we travel the more we realize how fortunate we are to have Blue Dog in our city.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:11 am

Bringing this back to the top: I had dinner with a group at Brasserie Provence this week, and was pleasantly surprised by the baguettes ... which they said come from Ghyslain!

They may lack the complexity and flavor of Blue Dog's baguettes, but they are far more "Parisian" in one way ... they have that amazing thin, glass-like, shattery crust, and damn, that's addictive. Move Ghyslain into No. 2, assuming that the stock they sell in-house is the same as the bread that they bake for Brasserie P!
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:31 pm

I still think that Breadworks does a fine job. Not the texture of Blue Dog, but they are a reliable Louisville bakery that turns 20 next year. We stop by a few times a month.