Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

Re: Irish Rover Owner threatens over bad food

by John Greenup » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:44 pm

The Irish Rover Too became a popular dining destination in Oldham County for several years (located in the heart of the La Grange metroplex)...the food was already well-prepared, the Guinness flowed, and Michael was a congenial host who always stopped by the table to chat, which makes the original post all the more perplexing. We remain very sorry "IRT" left Oldham County.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:58 pm

I stand by my comment that the OP was a drive-by. She'll never come back to defend her position or apologize.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Mike Hardin wrote:I stand by my comment that the OP was a drive-by. She'll never come back to defend her position or apologize.

And your point is? :mrgreen:

Seriously, I think the system worked. She had her say without censorship, and the community stood up and responded, in an awesome way.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mike Hardin wrote:I stand by my comment that the OP was a drive-by. She'll never come back to defend her position or apologize.

And your point is? :mrgreen:

Seriously, I think the system worked. She had her say without censorship, and the community stood up and responded, in an awesome way.

Robin, I agree 100%. I just had dinner at the Rover - a pint at the bar with fish and chips. All is right in the world! :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:16 pm

Mike D wrote:Robin, I agree 100%. I just had dinner at the Rover - a pint at the bar with fish and chips. All is right in the world! :D

All right! By the way, I went back to the OP and clicked on her Facebook link, and found to my interest that she has almost 5,000 Facebook 'friends' including 172 mutual, including lots of Louisville food-industry and media people. Not that all this means anything, but she's hardly anonymous.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:06 am

My take on this is "There is on in every party"......

Michael and Saibon (sp) have been in business for too many years and have such a loyal following (me included), to 'stoop' to that level.

I've been going since they opened (my father discovered it and we lunched there when I would come into town) and have gone semi-frequently every since I moved back to town over 10 years ago. It's always friendly, warm and consistently excellent.

Evidently, somebody is think that HotBytes is a Yelp derivative.....it's all on them.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:41 am

That's it! I can't take it anymore. All of this talk of fish and chips and the Rover and cold weather. Dammit, I'm taking the family out to the Rover at the next opportunity! See what you've done. I hope you are happy with yourselves.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:49 am

RonnieD wrote:That's it! I can't take it anymore. All of this talk of fish and chips and the Rover and cold weather. Dammit, I'm taking the family out to the Rover at the next opportunity! See what you've done. I hope you are happy with yourselves.

:twisted: :mrgreen: Anytime, Ronnie! Anytime!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:30 pm

Well, what the heck. I decided to go over and post a friendly note on her Facebook page inviting her to come on back and respond to our comments and questions.

Hey there! Your post about Irish Rover is really blowing up on the HotBytes forum! Why not drop back by and respond to some of the gang's comments and questions?

What's the over-under on (1) she comes back. or (2) deletes my post? ;)
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:42 pm

In nearly 20 years of going to the Rover, Ive had a large number of great meals, a few meh meals, and no bad meals. However, I have had two friends have outrageously bad meals, to the point where they wont go back, and I understand. I might feel the same way if I had had their meals.

That said, neither behaved like the OP.

And Ive never seen the Reidys be anything but gracious to everyone.
no avatar
User

EdEastridge

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:18 pm

by EdEastridge » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:07 pm

I have to admit that I had one meal that I thought was "bad". I was there for my birthday and thought "what the hell" when I read the description of the Black Pudding as "not for the faint of heart". I found out why. And in fairness it was made perfectly. Impeccably so. The biggest problem with the meal was simply that the taste buds weren't nearly as brave and filled with machismo as the brain was that night. Was quite the brilliant meal overall and a somewhat profound lesson in fortitude and determination. :lol:

To this day, I'm having problems recalling how many different shades of green I turned that particular night. At the same time, the idea of a Guinness and some Fish and Chips are quite alluring at the moment.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:40 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Well, what the heck. I decided to go over and post a friendly note on her Facebook page inviting her to come on back and respond to our comments and questions.

Hey there! Your post about Irish Rover is really blowing up on the HotBytes forum! Why not drop back by and respond to some of the gang's comments and questions?

What's the over-under on (1) she comes back. or (2) deletes my post? ;)

I'm betting she definitely won't come back, I wouldn't even guarantee she's read any of the comments we've written here. As far as deleting your post goes, she probably will if she knows how but.......
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Robin, if the OP has lots of "foodie" friends they must not have received (or maybe believed) her message. Just got back from the Rover and, at 8:00, the place was packed with quite a number waiting. Nothing beats a pint at the bar on a chilly November evening.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:14 pm

Mike D wrote:Robin, if the OP has lots of "foodie" friends

I couldn't help noticing that at least one of our mutual friends is a regular participant on this forum who has not spoken up. I'm not going to name or shame, but I kind of wish that individual (or any others who are connected to her) would feel comfortable about contributing any insight they may have.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:49 am

I checked out her FB page. Did not have time to go through all of her friends but what I did see was only one person I knew. I guess I just don't know that many bendy people. But really, 5 G in friends? There must have been a sale. :mrgreen:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
PreviousNext