Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Irish Rover Owner threatens over bad food

by RonnieD » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:38 am

The wife and I eat the Rover quite regularly and are excited to share the experience with our son (he's 2 so fish and chips are on the horizon). We've never had anything other than an exceptional experience at the Rover and regularly take out of town guests there, holding it up as a gem in the neighborhood dining scene. The Rover is tops. I cannot account for the OP.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

by John Lisherness » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:22 am

The 'Rover opened just when my family moved to Louisville over 20 years ago from LA. It was one of the few quality places where the kids loved it as much as the adults and at a reasonable price. When not checking with guests if everything is OK, Michael's bussing tables or straightening things up. The servers always seem happy and efficient and I've never been disappointed by the food. It's not haute cuisine, but reliably good.
I feel sorry for the OP. It sounds like their whole crew was emotionally distraught, and this woman's raw emotions finally manifested in a public eruption. It has been a while since I've been a 'roving. It's time to go back.
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:45 pm

Never had a bad time there fish is allways good so are the Scottish eggs, I call bs on her review somthing is fishy about that post
no avatar
User

Kara Lewis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:34 am

Louisville, KY

by Kara Lewis » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:38 pm

I've been a horrible lurker here on Hotbytes for eons, but I feel like I have to come out of hiding to defend my beloved Rover. My husband went on one of our very first dates there, we had our lovely rehearsal dinner there, and we go there for dinner often. I've never had a bad meal or bad service there, and if he's in the building, Michael always comes over with a smile and a friendly face. I simply can't imagine the scenario described by the OP. And as someone said upthread, all the post did was make me think, "Mmm, a scotch egg and a Guinness sounds pretty good right now."
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:22 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Kara! Glad to see you are a lurker no more. :wink: :D
no avatar
User

Kara Lewis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:34 am

Louisville, KY

by Kara Lewis » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:36 pm

Thanks! I come out of my shell once every few years or so, then crawl back in. :roll:
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:40 pm

:lol:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:21 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Welcome to the Forum, Kara! Glad to see you are a lurker no more. :wink: :D

Right! Now that Kara has broken the ice, she's one of the gang now! Kara, here is your monogrammed beer mug! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:36 pm

I met Michael in the late 80's when I played piano at the Terrace and he was a waiter. He changed the atmosphere, for sure. Not only have we enjoyed the restaurant, but we've been lucky to have the Reidy family as neighbors for many years. They are warm, funny and have a strong work ethic. They are generous and have done much for the community.

Last year, my daughter brought her Irish friend there for dinner. He was crazy about the food and went back several times before he left. There's your proof!

I just had to add my two cents, I can't imagine anyone being mistreated there without ample cause.
no avatar
User

AliciaWilder

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:24 am

by AliciaWilder » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:16 pm

I almost hate to be a "me, too", but I'm a normal lurker who logs in with Facebook and could not sit silently by. My family and I love the Irish Rover and it's previous location in LaGrange. We go often, and my children request it as their special occasion restaurant. We have always had nothing but the best service and food. The owner comes up every time and treats us like he's known us for years, even joking with my father about the LaGrange location the last time we were able to visit on Frankfort Avenue.

I cannot imagine 1-that the food was that terrible, and 2-the owner would even come close to reacting that way. I don't disparage the original post, but perhaps her experience was damped by the experiences she has been through in her personal life. I would also imagine that given her threat she may have exaggerated her experience in order to fulfill that that threat.

I sincerely hope that a new person reading about this experience will consider all of the many positive experiences and give the Rover a try. Now that the weather is turning cold I can't want to get back in for a pint and some Guinness Stew!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:41 pm

No need to apologize for jumping in, Alicia! Now that you've broken the ice, don't be a stranger!
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I've reviewed on occasion, once with kind of a "meh" reaction

I'll be honest. The Rover was one of the first places my wife and I ate while scouting Louisville before moving here from NYC. And as a 2nd generation American from an Irish family, who has spent gobs of time in Ireland, that was kind my reaction as well, "meh."

We have eaten there a few more times since my mother-in-law loves the place. But each time its been that same, "meh."

But just in light of this thread I am going to take the family this weekend and give it a whole new fresh look.
I mean who can say no to poisonous mussels? :lol:
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:56 pm

I was, quite frankly, stunned by the OP. The Rover is my go-to, feel-good neighborhood place. (It took the place of the late and much-lamented Baxter Station, but that's another story.) I often seem to end up there when I'm on my own for lunch or dinner. One of the earlier posters hit the nail on the head when he said it's not haute cuisine but it's reliably good. I always find Michael, the bartenders and the servers friendly and attentive. Give me a spot at the bar, a pint from one of the rotating taps (not a Guiness lover, sorry) and a plate of what I think is the best beer-battered fish and chips in town, and I'm a happy guy.
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:28 pm

After reading the posts here and on The Irish Rover FB page - where the OP posted another rant - she should be grateful that Mr. Reidy did not charge her with assault. Since there were multiple witnesses to her bizarre behavior, I cannot imagine why she thought she could post without consequences. :roll:
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Eve Lee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Highlands

by Eve Lee » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Siobhan, you and Michael are class acts and have always provided my husband, daughter and me nothing but a warm and inviting place with good food and good company. Your restaurant is clearly an ongoing labor of love, and I am shocked you were treated so horribly. I do not believe that woman's account for a minute, but I am ashamed for her.
PreviousNext