Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Superchefs Breakfast

User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

Superchefs Breakfast

by Doug Davis » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:45 pm

So 3 weeks ago my wife and I decided to participate in the 6-week weight loss challenge our gym, Orange Theory Fitness, was doing. Today we reached the midway point of 3 weeks and headed to the gym for our official midway weigh in. And afterward as a reward for 3 weeks of calorie counting and being good we went to Superchefs in St.Matthews for breakfast as a reward day.

The good:
We arrived at 10am and there were still plenty of tables, although they quickly changed. Seems we arrived right on time because shortly after that (10:30am) every table was taken.
The service was awesome. From being greeted when we came in, to humoring our 2 1/2 year old, to quick refills on coffee...to just being down right friendly and polite. They were firing on all cylinders here.
The pancakes, were astounding. My daughter had a single Reese Cup peanut butter pancake. The presentation despite being for a 2 year old was the same as yours. And at $3 was the perfect portion size and a great value for a toddler.
My wife had a regular order of the banana foster pancakes, and since I couldnt decide between the four different house styles I got a sampler platter that included one pancake of each type. At $12 some might think its steep but since they had to cook a single pancake and do four different presentation styles with different toppings I actually thought it was a good value. All for of the pancakes (Reese Cup, Banana Foster, Caramel Apple and Red Velvet) were amazing. Only complaint I might have had is the Red Velvet could have used a bit more of the house made cream cheese whipped cream on it.

The bad:
In addition to pancakes we ordered two sides. Their house made sausage patties, which we were told included three different types of sausage combined together. And an order of hash browns.
Firstly the sausage while crispy and flavorful, was a single thin patty about 3 inches across for nearly $3. And the "hashbrowns" werent actually hashbrowns at all but maybe one small cup's worth of regular cubed home fried potatoes. Firstly for $2 and change at a cups worth or less it was a measly portion and secondly home fried potatoes are not hashbrowns.
With both the sides my wife and I got the "wow what a rip off" feeling.

We will go back? Yes, probably in another three weeks to try something else after the challenge is done, but we wont be getting a side again and would warn anyone against doing so.
I eat, therefore I am.