Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

Is your seafood what you think it is?

by Doug Davis » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:11 pm

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott ... ild-caught

Shrimp is America's favorite seafood—we eat more of it than any other kind, by a wide margin. And the tasty crustacean still (more or less) thrives near our ample shores—from the Pacific Northwest to the Gulf to the Carolinas. That's why it's deeply weird that 90 percent of the shrimp we eat comes from often-fetid farms in Southeast Asia, which tend to snuff out productive mangrove ecosystems and have a sketchy labor record. But it gets worse. Even when we do try to choose wild-caught US shrimp, we're often fooled. That's the message of a new report by the ocean-conservation group Oceana.

Of those, more than half were "farmed whiteleg shrimp disguised as wild-caught shrimp."
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Is your seafood what you think it is?

by Carla G » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:31 pm

Heavy sigh.
I used to love eating at all the different Chinese restaurants. Now it seems their menus are full of non-meat meat items. Crab Rangoon made with fake crab, beef dishes made with whatever that gelatinous grissely stuff is. And there no no notation on their menus anywhere that it's fake crab or beef. They used to call it Krab but I've noticed they've stopped doing that.
Shhhsh. :x
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:36 pm

Carla G wrote: They used to call it Krab but I've noticed they've stopped doing that.

I loved the place-that-shall-be-nameless that styled it as "Crap Rangoon." :lol:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Carla G wrote: They used to call it Krab but I've noticed they've stopped doing that.

I loved the place-that-shall-be-nameless that styled it as "Crap Rangoon." :lol:

At least I'd be inclined to give them points for truth in advertising. :roll:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson