Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Doe Run Inn Brandenburg

no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Doe Run Inn Brandenburg

by Carla G » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:41 am

Used to go to Doe Run Inn for Thanksgiving years ago. Just found out they closed in 2011. What a shame. Such an atmospheric place. Wish someone would reopen it.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Re: Doe Run Inn Brandenburg

by Eric Hall » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:11 pm

The restaurant wars in rural (and not so rural) America are being won by chains and "chain-like" mexican.

In my current town (Elizabethtown), the locals are rejoicing over forthcoming wing places Buffalo Wings & Rings and BW3, not a quarter mile apart. That will be 4 wing joints including the existing Beef O Bradys and Zaxbys.

Chicken Wing City has a better ring to it than our current title of Buffet City. Etown still has a Ryans, Shoneys, and Golden Coral plus another 4 or 5 chinese (ish) buffets.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:10 pm

I stayed there in like 1987. I remember they had good pancakes. It was also the first place I ever saw that list of Lincoln/Kennedy coincidences. It seemed like a place that would be around forever. Didn't Daniel Boone stay there?
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:55 pm

I think it was at one time the home of Squire Boone, Daniel's brother. (Sometime beforeSquire Boone moved to Indiana.)
no avatar
User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Brandenburg, Ky

by TracyBasham » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:22 pm

I live only a mile from Doe Run Inn and it saddens me every time I drive by and see the closed sign. Not because I miss the food but because that fantastic building and grounds are just wasting away.

It changed ownership a few years back and the new owners tried doing BBQ as well as 'country cooking'. And as many predicted shortly after that change, it closed.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:02 am

Tracy do you know if the business and/or buildings are for sale? It seems a serious shame for that historical site to wither away.
no avatar
User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Brandenburg, Ky

by TracyBasham » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:08 am

For right now, they are not selling. It has been closed for nearly two years now. It is a total shame in my opinion to let this beautiful, historical property just rot.
no avatar
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:30 pm

This is a shame...The last time I went there was with my in-laws after a family funeral several years ago. My father-in-law ,who is nearing 80 grew up nearby and shared stories of visiting many times, would love to be able to take him there once more.