Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Why Your Waiter Hates You

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Why Your Waiter Hates You

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:32 am

The snarky title turns to a deeper analysis of restaurant-business economics. Click, read, and comment!

The Daily Beast wrote:Why Your Waiter Hates You
Faking it is the new feudalism. Why the low pay and job insecurity that come with “emotional work” is creating a nation full of phonies.

Full story:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... s-you.html
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

Re: Why Your Waiter Hates You

by Steve H » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:12 am

The only conclusion that I draw is that that dude shouldn't be in the hospitality industry. His idea that servers need the freedom to be rude is a non starter. Rudeness is never an option.

The whole idea that manners should be optional and you don't want to be a fake is absurd. Had I wrote something like that, Momma would've yanked my ear and told me that manners are what makes us civilized!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:29 am

Steve H wrote:Momma would've yanked my ear and told me that manners are what makes us civilized!

Hey! Are we related? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:03 pm

I certainly agree with your position Steve! Combining that with how you worded it was the perfect answer!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:28 pm

Steve H wrote:The only conclusion that I draw is that that dude shouldn't be in the hospitality industry. His idea that servers need the freedom to be rude is a non starter. Rudeness is never an option.

The whole idea that manners should be optional and you don't want to be a fake is absurd. Had I wrote something like that, Momma would've yanked my ear and told me that manners are what makes us civilized!

+1 (and a bunch of flowers too.)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:13 pm

Taking the "customer" and the "service" out of "customer service" in one fell swoop. Well done.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:28 am

People who dont enjoy hospitality should not work in the service industry ! Its not just about tips and money . It needs to be a job u enjoy because u know the people u are working for ( the customer ) is somebody u can show a enjoyable experience . Which gives me great satisfaction ,. Pays my bills and lets me meet some very very interesting people! Good ,bad , famous , that u would not probably ever meet at most jobs ! :-)
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote:The snarky title turns to a deeper analysis of restaurant-business economics. Click, read, and comment!

The Daily Beast wrote:Why Your Waiter Hates You
Faking it is the new feudalism. Why the low pay and job insecurity that come with “emotional work” is creating a nation full of phonies.

Full story:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... s-you.html

That whole article is a new bullcrap millennial/hipster/20-something take on life. Just had a debate on the same thing with a female blogger today.

According to her to suddenly stop responding to text message, while in the middle of a polite text based conversation is perfectly acceptable and anyone who gets upset by that is an entitled misogynistic jerk. What I tried to convey to her is that it was bad manners.
As a 42 year old who grew up talking to people face to face or actually using the phone to talk on, if a person simply walked off from you in the middle of a conversation or hung up on you, it was considered rude. If you needed to stop the conversation (we are talking normal non-emergency here) you would say something like, "Hey its been great talking but I really have to get going" or something similar.
The fact you are carrying on the conversation via text messaging doesnt or shouldnt matter. The medium doesnt matter. Suddenly ignoring someone is rude, its bad manners. If you need to stop the conversation you are engaged in via text, you should do something similar to a phone conversation, and simply write "Hey got to go, boss yelling", or "Hey just pulled up to grocery store, Talk later".

This author is making the same argument. Because 90% of female waiters get sexually harassed on occasion by rude male patrons, this makes all polite business conversation "fake" and some form of "feudalism"? Expecting politeness is entitlement? Thats utterly absurd. Im an asshole by nature, but in conducting business other people shouldnt have to bear the burden of dealing with my normal abrasive personality, whether Im the waiter or the customer. In either case both parties should be polite.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:33 am

I agree with you Doug. There seems to be an on going notion (idea-feeling-attitude ) that anyone can simply say, " hey, it's not my fault I'm __________ ( insert current social fad here.) " we seem to want to blame some uncontrollable state for everything unsavory that we do rather than copping to our own short comings and working on them.

Me? (Speaking personally) Well...
I'm fat because I don't exercise enough not because I am anemic or gluten intolerant. ( Although that may contribute to it.)
I am grumpy and abrupt because sometimes I am an ass and can be thoughtless not just because I didn't get enough sleep.
The list goes on. You get my point.
I've got many shortcomings and trust me, I am working on all of them. In the mean time I will be polite and use manners because I needn't inflict my flaws on others. Not because I live in a feudal system.
Of course when sexually harassed I do tend to forget my manners and give some clod both barrels. And yes I did that when I was a bartender and a food server because some things just aren't worth the money to overlook. And I doubt I will stop that.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson