Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Great Restaurant Idea.

no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Great Restaurant Idea.

by RichardM » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:04 pm

I came across this whilst listening/viewing WVU pummel OK St.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPgh5Yk2HaY

Be great to see a place like this here in Louisville.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Great Restaurant Idea.

by Mark R. » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:22 pm

It's certainly a great concept and I believe the majority of people here would certainly welcome it with open arms! However, I'm also quite sure that there would be some people who want to sue the restaurant for discriminating against them because they couldn't get hired because they weren't deaf and didn't know American sign language. I'm also sure some customers would be pissed because they were being asked to use American sign language while ordering. It's just the way many people have become in America these days. :cry:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:16 pm

I was dubious at first, but after viewing the video, I think Mark is a little too pessimistic. The fact that they give the diners "cheat sheets" and that the shtick of the place is for the waiters to work with them and try to teach them something, rather than just make life hard for no good reason, makes it a cool out-of-the-box idea.

It's a niche market, I think. The people who don't get it, won't go, and that's okay. But as long as the food is good and the service is good, I think it could find an audience, both of deaf folks and those who want to support it or just think it's fun.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:34 pm

Maybe it would also be a Quiet restaurant, something we are very used to with the newer ones around town! :!:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"