Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Feijoada??

no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

Feijoada??

by Tony G » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:30 pm

Any place in the area serve this delicious Portugese meal?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Feijoada??

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Tony G wrote:Any place in the area serve this delicious Portugese meal?

Isn't it Brazilian, Tony? We definitely don't have any local Portuguese restaurants, and the only "Brazilian" eatery is the new Brazeiros Churrascaria. Looking over their website, though, it appears that the intense grilled meat focus pretty much blocks out all other cuisine except salads and sides.
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:33 pm

It's a traditional Portugese dish, but since they speak that language in Brazil I can only surmise that it's influenced. I have a friend from Belo Horizonte that lives in Louisville, she calls herself Brazilian but told us that the feijoada dish is Portugese. I know she said they speak Portugese down there. Let's just say it's a hybrid dish? The one she prepared for us was SO good!!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:39 pm

Tony G wrote:It's a traditional Portugese dish, but since they speak that language in Brazil I can only surmise that it's influenced.

Brazilians sure do speak Portuguese, Tony! Way back in history, Portugal and Spain split South America between them (I think a Pope helped out with that), and Portugal got the part that became Brazil. I've been lucky enough to travel in both places, and the modern cuisines are very different ... Brazil got a lot of Africa added to its food and culture over the centuries. So I can't rule out that Feijoada doesn't turn up in the mother country, but I'd be surprised to learn that it's common.

Then again, what do I know? :mrgreen: I'll be pleasantly surprised to learn if any of it is readily available here, though.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:20 pm

I believe at one point Seviche offered it. It's not on their current on-line menu, but if you contact them they may do it as a special?
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

by Sherrie G » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:55 pm

Yes, it was on the Seviche specials menu earlier this week.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:08 pm

I was going to suggest Seviche too.
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

by Anthony Lamas » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:11 am

Yes....we have it as a special at Seviche during the colder months! It's on our special menu this week....it's a modern version....Feijoada- black beans, smoked meats, chorizo, farofa, kale, petite filet of prime beef