Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Bodega Mi Sueño #2

by Iggy C » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:27 am

Sad over Miami Food Mart closing? I was. But before I even had a chance to mourn, I ran across a new option for Cuban cafeterias: Bodega Mi Sueño #2, on Bardstown Road and Meadow right by Bashford Manor. Not to be confused with Bodega Mi Sueño classic edition up the road, this one is in the old Sonic building right by El Caporal.

I got lechon, congris, and garbanzo stew, which was more than enough for two meals. I was very excited about the lechon: roast pork with crispy skin that brought back happy memories of Puerto Rico. El Yucateco hot sauce was on the table, which was fine by me. The congris and garbanzo hit the spot, too. My wife got a solid Cuban sandwich with fries and a guava and cheese pastel, also more than enough for two meals.

Going to have to go back to try the boliche, the black beans, ham, yuca, tamales, and whatever else is on the steam trays. Also the other sandwiches sounded interesting --especially the choripan, as I'm only familiar with the Argentinian kind and apparently this is different. There was a big line of Cubans there on a random Tuesday night, so it seemed to be doing well.

Total for everything: $17. Definitely a good stop when making a trip out to Target or whenever I feel like I'm not getting enough starch, protein and pork fat in my diet.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Bodega Mi Sueño #2

by Iggy C » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:31 am

Oh right, they have a fb page:

https://m.facebook.com/BodegaMiSueno/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:53 am

Great discovery, Iggy! Thanks, and please keep 'em coming!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:24 pm

Okay, inspired by the lunch thread, I went back today. I got a plate of rice, beans, sliced roast pork, and fried plantains. The roast pork was moist and tender, the beans were creamy and heavy on bay leaves and pork, and the fried plantains were crunchy on the outside and meltingly sweet on the inside. It is pretty hard to do better in this town for $8.47.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (73.89 KiB) Viewed 9978 times
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:21 am

Bodega Mi Sueno has moved yet again, this time next to the Target in Bashford Manor. It has more tables and a nicer atmosphere than the old location, but seems to have the same cafeteria setup and menu. We split a plate of lechon, with rice, beans, and yuca, plus a mincemeat croquette and two guava cream cheese pastries, all for under $15. It was over a pound of lechon -- kind of a crazy amount of food, really. The photo doesn't capture it.

https://m.imgur.com/a/g6hQI

Somewhat confusingly, the original Bodega Mi Sueno #1 on Bardstown is still open, and across from Costco in the old Sonic there's Mi Sueno, which is more focused on rotisserie chicken and which I think now has different owners. Anyway, the place is great and is a ridiculous value. Glad to see them growing!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:36 am

Thanks for the report, Iggy!
User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Brandenburg, Ky

by TracyBasham » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:53 pm

Iggy, you are to be thanked for pointing this was out. Dinner here tonight was the BOMB!!! The portions were huge and everything we had was terrific. We just could not believe the amount of food they kept piling on....lol
The combo plates were $9.99 each. There was no way we could eat all of it so guess whats for lunch tomorrow? :D

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (280.78 KiB) Viewed 8864 times
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:40 pm

TracyBasham wrote:Iggy, you are to be thanked for pointing this was out. Dinner here tonight was the BOMB!!! The portions were huge and everything we had was terrific. We just could not believe the amount of food they kept piling on....lol
The combo plates were $9.99 each. There was no way we could eat all of it so guess whats for lunch tomorrow? :D

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Glad you liked it, Tracy! I think it's great, too. And your picture did a much better job capturing the portion sizes than mine did.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:29 pm

We usually go to # 2, but due to these posts we tried the one by Bashford Manor tonight for take-out. My son got his cubano and fries and I got the lechon combo. At first I thought the server misunderstood me to mean I wanted just rice, because she filled up the container to almost overflowing! Then she added the meat...so much delicious pork...by the time we got to the vegetable, I don't know how the container wasn't falling apart. I'm not sure what veggie I got. They were out of plaintains :-( and I'm not a huge yucca fan, though I'll eat it. This looked like a cross between yucca and potato. Has a sweetish taste, but not like sweet potato. Whatever it is, it's good!

I also bypassed flan (which never happens!) for a piece of cake filled with vanilla cream or pudding. I'm too stuffed from the dinner to try it just yet. That bakery scene was to die for!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:35 am

Alanna H wrote:We usually go to # 2, but due to these posts we tried the one by Bashford Manor tonight for take-out. My son got his cubano and fries and I got the lechon combo. At first I thought the server misunderstood me to mean I wanted just rice, because she filled up the container to almost overflowing! Then she added the meat...so much delicious pork...by the time we got to the vegetable, I don't know how the container wasn't falling apart. I'm not sure what veggie I got. They were out of plaintains :-( and I'm not a huge yucca fan, though I'll eat it. This looked like a cross between yucca and potato. Has a sweetish taste, but not like sweet potato. Whatever it is, it's good!

I also bypassed flan (which never happens!) for a piece of cake filled with vanilla cream or pudding. I'm too stuffed from the dinner to try it just yet. That bakery scene was to die for!

I'm not sure if #2 (the one in the old Sonic across from Costco) is still owned by the same people. I was under the impression they sold it to someone who took it in a rotisserie chicken direction, which is why they changed the name to just "Mi Sueno." But I might be mistaken. I will say the Bashford Manor one has better and more extensive offerings, IMO. And I agree that the portions are almost comically large -- not that I'm complaining.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:45 pm

I love Bodega Mi Sueno
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:08 pm

I stopped by this evening and picked up a Completa and a pastel. My response to all of the above and to the other post describing Robin's visit----yep, yep, yep and a big grande portion of yep!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:44 am

Glad you liked it, James!

There's now a Mi Sueño Cuban Express that's opened up on Bishop Lane in the same strip mall as Yummy Pollo. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm always glad to see more Cuban offerings, and their fb page looks promising:
https://m.facebook.com/MiSuenoCubanExpress/

Because Yelp seems to have some errors, and because of all the confusingly similar names, here is my attempt to clarify the various Sueños around town.

Bodega Mi Sueño
3646 Mall Road (by the Target in Bashford Manor)
The Cuban cafeteria with the best and most extensive offerings IMO; the one Robin reviewed. Has pastries and sandwiches in addition to the cafeteria steam trays. Also has a store attached.

Bodega Mi Sueño
3415 Bardstown Rd.
The original location. Last time I went (like 3 years ago), it was a bodega that also served coffee and pastries, but not a real restaurant. For a while it was open in tandem with #2 a few doors down, but now is possibly closed. Google Maps thinks it's now a grocery called Caribe Express, but Yelp still incorrectly lists this address for the main cafeteria that's over on Mall Road.

Mi Sueño
3425 Bardstown Rd.
A Cuban cafeteria now seemingly more focused on rotisserie chicken after changing ownership. Formerly Bodega Mi Sueño #2, and a Sonic before that. I looked in once after it changed names but haven't tried it.

Mi Sueño Cuban Express
4212 Bishop Lane
Another new Cuban cafeteria that I'm interested in trying.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Iggy C wrote:here is my attempt to clarify the various Sueños around town.

Thanks, Iggy! That's very helpful indeed. Do you know if some or all are connected by common ownership?
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Iggy C wrote:here is my attempt to clarify the various Sueños around town.

Thanks, Iggy! That's very helpful indeed. Do you know if some or all are connected by common ownership?

I believe that Mi Sueno at 3425 Bardstown does not have the same owner as it did when it was Bodega Mi Sueno #2, but I don't have a strong memory of the conversation.
Next