Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

Re: Restaurants with Critical Violations

by Adriel Gray » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:05 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Adriel Gray wrote:ugh... this stuff is so ridiculous. Not a fan of bureaucracy, but other than bureaucrats, who is?

Actually, people who live in places with no bureaucracy probably are. Somalia, for instance ... :mrgreen:

Somalia has the worst kind of bureaucracy. With a warlord's bureaucracy there are still taxes, standards, and quotas just no avenue of redress. :D
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:06 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Adriel Gray wrote:ugh... this stuff is so ridiculous. Not a fan of bureaucracy, but other than bureaucrats, who is?

Actually, people who live in places with no bureaucracy probably are. Somalia, for instance ... :mrgreen:

Their restaurant bureaucracy is probably more 'streamlined', but it's not true that there isn't one. Along with the primary bureaucratic imperatives of self preservation and accumulating authority, it's focused on different slightly different priorities. For example, try buying some pork chops or bacon.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Speaking of avenues of redress, other than bribery, what can these restaurants do to not be harmed by these bad snapshots taken by the inspectors? I think it's clear from some of the stories on here, and from personal experience that being up to code on everything at all times is not entirely feasible. Has anyone successfully fought an unfair inspection?
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:49 pm

You can't fight city hall, and you don't want to. You make too many enemies.

The problem is the code, itself more than the inspectors. There are lots of unrealistic bits that are overly cautious in the interest of food safety. Well intentioned, but difficult to fully comply with 100% of the time and still feed people in a timely fashion and not go broke doing it.

Never mind the fact that some HD refuse to give a 100%. Huntsville, Alabama is like that. They do not give 100%'s. They will find something wrong. They will.

But what are you going to do?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:44 pm

My son works in the food industry now as most of you know, I wont name names but at his previous job he came home and told me of a rat problem, so bad the rats were running on pipes behind his prep table in the daytime. He would report it to the owner and would get the standard yeah we know...even had bags of flour stored with big x's on them with rat holes in them. He was afraid to call and report them but I wasn't I called. The inspector came but must have been paid off cause no violations were noted. He found his new job shortly there after and left.
Previous