Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Restaurants with Critical Violations

by Mark R. » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:23 pm

Business 1st announced today they are going to start publishing on a quarterly basis restaurants that have critical violations and receive a "C" grade during your inspection along with the reason for the "C".

Here's a list from July, August and September: http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/n ... 0&page=all
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

Re: Restaurants with Critical Violations

by Adriel Gray » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:49 am

Some of these sound pretty serious... However I've done the inspection thing and know that the wording on violations make them sound way more severe than the actual infraction at times.

Would this list make you stop going to these places?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:01 pm

It certainly wouldn't prevent me from going to a place I've gone to and liked before but it may make me have second thoughts about going to someplace I haven't been to. Again, if you mentioned it would depend on what the violations were as well as the overall score. Some things like employees eating or drinking in an unauthorized area are certainly not an issue in my opinion.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:26 pm

The funny thing about a "C" grade is that 99 percent of the time it represents a screw-up that happened at the wrong time and is easily fixed. Notice how many of them say "corrected"?

I've also heard tall tales that the threat of a "C", depending on the inspector, may be an implicit invitation for the restaurateur to say, "What would it take to make this go away?" I believe most inspectors are straight. I've heard from sources I trust that a few are not. Mighty hard to prove and get into print, but unfortunately, situations where business operators and inspectors get together one on one with something of value at stake, things can happen.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I believe most inspectors are straight. I've heard from sources I trust that a few are not. Mighty hard to prove and get into print, but unfortunately, situations where business operators and inspectors get together one on one with something of value at stake, things can happen.

I have tons of chicken feathers if someone has some tar... name names... 8)
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:49 pm

I worked somplace I wont name in the 90s as a manager that was cleaned and should of passed on its own . But we bought the inspector a,steak for lunch every time he came in and got 98 to 99 percent every time and he didnt look real hard . If u know what I meen .
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:39 pm

On the list the only two I have eaten at are Havana Rumba and Joy Luck. Based on the violations noted I will continue to patronize. I would be more concerned with roaches which would indicate long standing problems with cleanliness and sanitation.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:47 pm

Doug Davis wrote:On the list the only two I have eaten at are Havana Rumba and Joy Luck. Based on the violations noted I will continue to patronize. I would be more concerned with roaches which would indicate long standing problems with cleanliness and sanitation.

Agreed. Or rats. I'll also testify for Oriental House. In the face of some foodies' casually racist assumptions about Asian eateries, it hasn't built 50 years of local popularity on the basis of lax sanitation.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:05 am

Robin Garr wrote: I'll also testify for Oriental House. In the face of some foodies' casually racist assumptions about Asian eateries, it hasn't built 50 years of local popularity on the basis of lax sanitation.

Well said and amen!
no avatar
User

John S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:11 pm

by John S » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:51 am

I take some of these things with a grain of salt. I worked in a restaurant for several years while in high school and college and it got poor grades twice for stupid things.

Once the inspector came in mid-afternoon while we were cleaning the kitchen. This included mopping the floor. The inspector said having a filled mop bucket was a critical violation and wrote "sewage exposure" as the reason for C we had to display out front.

Another time an inspector showed up when we were getting a shipment. We had pulled the old stock out of the walk ins so that we could rotate stock and were in the process of putting everything back in. He didn't bother to pull out a thermometer to check the temperature, but we got another C, this time for "improper food storage."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:02 am

John S wrote:The inspector said having a filled mop bucket was a critical violation and wrote "sewage exposure" as the reason for C we had to display out front.

So, nobody asked him, "what will it take to make this go away"? :twisted:
no avatar
User

John S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:11 pm

by John S » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
John S wrote:The inspector said having a filled mop bucket was a critical violation and wrote "sewage exposure" as the reason for C we had to display out front.

So, nobody asked him, "what will it take to make this go away"? :twisted:

No, the manager was stingy. The only people he gave food away to were his wife and children.
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:39 am

We got a letter taken off at jeff rubys once because I didn't have a hair net on cutting lemons . I am completely bald shaved to the skin ?! But he said I had to wear one anyways ?? Kinda crazy I thought ! But seemed to have it in for us . Being a brand new place is all I could figure.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:33 am

ugh... this stuff is so ridiculous. Not a fan of bureaucracy, but other than bureaucrats, who is?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:57 am

Adriel Gray wrote:ugh... this stuff is so ridiculous. Not a fan of bureaucracy, but other than bureaucrats, who is?

Actually, people who live in places with no bureaucracy probably are. Somalia, for instance ... :mrgreen:
Next