Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Cast Iron Steak House

User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Cast Iron Steak House

by Gayle DeM » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:13 pm

I have to sing the praises of an overlooked local restaurant: the Cast Iron Steak House on River Road.
I had dinner there this evening with a dear friend. We ordered strip steak, a Delmonico steak, a dessert and a bottle of wine. Both steaks included a salad and a side. For my salad I chose the Caesar salad; my friend chose the house salad. I can only speak for the Caesar salad. It was made of crisp Romaine lettuce and crispy croutons. I could taste parmesan cheese, lemon juice, garlic, and black pepper in the dressing. Although I could not detect ant anchovies, they were not missed as the salad was lightly dressed so both the lettuce and croutons remained crisp. My dining companion was completely satisfied with his house salad. My medium rare Delmonico was right on; my friend's medium rare strip steak was likewise. He chose their potato cake. I stole a bite. It reminded me of my North Dakota days and what was called a potato patty - crisp, crisp on the outside; tender potato goodness on the inside. I chose the sauted spinach. Heaven! The spinach was tender, neither raw nor soggy and not oily or buttery either. My companion opted for dessert - an over the top version of brownie ala mode. I stole a bite. OMG! I do not have a sweet tooth and therefore rarely order dessert but I might make an exception next I go there.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Cast Iron Steak House

by Gayle DeM » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:29 pm

Okay, I wasn't quite through. I don't even want to discuss what key I must have hit.

So here is the best part: The total for this awesome dinner including a bottle of Malbec was $80, but I had a Groupon. They applied it to the total, inluding the wine! Who else does this?

Anyway, I wanted y'all to know that this meal easily surpassed the dinner I had at Morton's Steak House last week. It surpassed it on food taste, but won by a mile on food price. And at Morton's, I not only had to endure a medium rare tenderloin that was by any standard other medium well ( I had asked the server if medium rare meant red in the middle but the chill removed. She agreed.) I received a steak that had but a few ( and I mean few) hints of color. When I cut through the steak and showed it to to the server and mentioned that I couldn't believe the chef hadn't noticed the doneness of steak when he touched it. She almost went into cardiac arrest that I should be aware of such a technicality. I should also note the the server from the beginning had treated us as though she was a high school math teacher who had to cover a kindergarten class. I couldn't believe the length to which she explained every item on the menu as though we had never eaten out at any place but McDonalds before. At Morton's everything was ala carte. With a bottle of wine our dinner came to $140.

You can bet your sweet bibby that I will not be returning to Morton's. However, I will be eating my steak dinners at Cast Iron Steak House for many a coming time1
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:49 pm

Thanks for the post, Gayle! When Cast Iron Steak House first opened, it got, um, "mixed reviews," so I'm glad to hear that they've apparently found their stride.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:14 pm

Cast Iron's sauteed spinach is my favorite side dish in town. I wish I could get mine to turn out like that at home!
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:50 pm

We just recently went and enjoyed it very much. Here is a link to my Tripadvisor review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g39770-d2631771-r232611230-Cast_Iron_Steakhouse-Prospect_Kentucky.html#REVIEWS
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:16 pm

Looks like will have to head back out there again. We went when they first opened and were certainly not impressed but by these recent reviews it sounds like they really have their act together now!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"