Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Our weekly ration of server snark ...

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:37 am

User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Our weekly ration of server snark ...

by RonnieD » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:22 pm

In defense of the lady at the Vegan restaurant, I think it is asinine to name your meatless entrees after meat entrees. Vegan Shrimp Cocktail is an insult to vegans, to shrimp, and to the diner it is being presented to. If you want to eat only vegetables, just do that. There's nothing wrong with it. Vegetables are delicious. There's no need to maintain some pretense that we are having "shrimp cocktail" only its made of soy...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:34 pm

RonnieD wrote:I think it is asinine to name your meatless entrees after meat entrees. Vegan Shrimp Cocktail is an insult to vegans, to shrimp, and to the diner it is being presented to. If you want to eat only vegetables, just do that. There's nothing wrong with it. Vegetables are delicious. There's no need to maintain some pretense that we are having "shrimp cocktail" only its made of soy...

:shock:

Not that I have any particular soy dog in this fight :lol: but I see this kind of response to faux meats often, and I have to wonder: Why the virulence? Where is all this passion oming from? In short, why give a $#!+? :roll:

Just curious ...
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:34 pm

RonnieD wrote:In defense of the lady at the Vegan restaurant, I think it is asinine to name your meatless entrees after meat entrees. Vegan Shrimp Cocktail is an insult to vegans, to shrimp, and to the diner it is being presented to. If you want to eat only vegetables, just do that. There's nothing wrong with it. Vegetables are delicious. There's no need to maintain some pretense that we are having "shrimp cocktail" only its made of soy...

100% agree. When I was a vegetarian I didn't need to be patronized that I was kind of eating meat almost... SO LAME!!

It felt disingenuous. I made a dietary choice, I didn't want to pretend that I hadn't made that choice. :x :x :x

But I digress, to each their own.
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:13 pm

When I worked in causal dinning I cant tell u how many times a guest thought fillet mignon was fish ?! :lol:
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
RonnieD wrote:I think it is asinine to name your meatless entrees after meat entrees. Vegan Shrimp Cocktail is an insult to vegans, to shrimp, and to the diner it is being presented to. If you want to eat only vegetables, just do that. There's nothing wrong with it. Vegetables are delicious. There's no need to maintain some pretense that we are having "shrimp cocktail" only its made of soy...

:shock:

Not that I have any particular soy dog in this fight :lol: but I see this kind of response to faux meats often, and I have to wonder: Why the virulence? Where is all this passion oming from? In short, why give a $#!+? :roll:

Just curious ...

virulence? It was just an opinion. I just think it's ridiculous. Like Adriel said, as a vegan diner I would feel insulted and if I was a moral vegan, maybe a little turned off by the pretense that I'm eating "pretend" meat.

Also, I care because I'm a part of the food service community and things like this are what we care about. If you ask me how I feel about PVC vs. metal pipes in plumbing, I probably have no idea. :D
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:21 pm

Matt C wrote:When I worked in causal dinning I cant tell u how many times a guest thought fillet mignon was fish ?! :lol:

I am so shocked by this... what kind of fish do they imagine a "mignon" is? Are these adult human beings?
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:24 pm

It's the same people that order a Prime Beef Burger for $10. and complain that it isn't a Prime Rib.
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

clifton

by Matt C » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:50 pm

I think that they think its white fish like u get at kingfish or red lobster . They just see fillet , and probably dont even notice the other part or think the mignon is a way of preparing there fish lol :lol: . Iv had people eat the seasalt under the raw oysters at Jeff rubys more times than Icould count when i worked there. Even had a lady who was to busy on her cell phone to liston to my warning that is was sea salt . And ate it any way . Ask me what Iwas going to do for her since it ruined her whole meal :twisted:
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

clifton

by Matt C » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:58 pm

Dont know why but it allways bugged me the most was when sombody was doing a tasting menu and use all there silverware on there amuse bouche ?? :x .like four forks and three knives on one small bite of food ?? Like how is it even possible ?? But I saw it happen on multiple diff occasion s :mrgreen: