Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

LEO/HotBytes review: We enlist in the war for Coals

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:22 pm

We enlist in the war for Coals. Pizza, that is.

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

There are just 28 days left before Election Day 2014 as you read this, and that means we must endure 672 more hours of television, radio, robo-call and Internet advertising time. In this market, a great deal of this mind-numbing noise will be devoted to Senator-since-forever Mitch McConnell and his feisty challenger, Alison Lundergan Grimes.

Okay fine, I get it, that's how the system works in 21st century America. Well, that, and limitless contributions by anonymous corporate interests, but that's a whole 'nother story.

I have made my decision and probably won't stray from it, so I'm doing my best to tune out the constant drone. But sometimes it's hard to ignore.

For instance, why in the heck do they keep talking about coal? They both seem to be for it. Is that a good thing? From my perspective as a long-time political junkie and one-time politics-and-government reporter, I think I have a pretty good idea of where these two people stand. You pay your money and take your choice. Meanwhile, I've got a Pete Seeger earworm now: Which side are you on?

Then, suddenly, I heard the words that galvanized me: There's a war on Coals! A war!? Holy Anthracite, Batman! Coals Pizza is probably my No. 1 favorite pizzeria in the greater metro, and that's saying something, because we've probably got five dozen of 'em, and about one-third of those are in St. Matthews, it seems.

Anyway, if there's a war on Coals, I'm grabbin' my pitchfork and getting on down there to enlist. We've got to protect that place from the evil plans of Voldemor ... wait, what? President Obama? Something doesn't make sense here, but hey, we're talking about politics.

Let's talk about pizza instead! Why do I love Coals so hard that I would enlist in a battle to defend it? Well, it's the coal. And more, like local and natural ingredients, skilled staff in the front and back, an estimable beverage program, and a comfortable environment.

But it starts with coal. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/we-en ... za-that-is
And in LEO Weekly:
http://leoweekly.com/dining/we-enlist-war-coals-pizza

Coals Artisan Pizza
Vogue Center
3730 Frankfort Ave.
742-8200
http://coalsartisanpizza.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Coals-Ar ... 4160439522
Robin Garr's rating: 91 points
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

Re: LEO/HotBytes review: We enlist in the war for Coals

by Madeline Peters » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:54 pm

You are so stealth. Are you starting to wear or a wig or something? Thanks for the observation about the meatballs. They always come white unless you want them red.....??!! Arghhh. :oops: And thank you for the review.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:12 pm

Madeline Peters wrote:Thanks for the observation about the meatballs. They always come white unless you want them red.....??!! Arghhh. :oops: And thank you for the review.

Madeline, we were surprised because the menu said white, and Mary was delighted ... she likes white MUCH better than red. So she was pretty disappointed when the red version came out. Our server was nice, and did a quick and gracious job of bringing out a substitute, but he really wasn't able to explain why they'd bring out red when red wasn't even on the printed menu. <puzzled frown>
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:13 pm

Coals is one of my favorite restaurants in the city not just pizza. Love those wings too. Always consistent.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am

We love Coals!!! They serve my favorite pizza in the city. My wife is so excited about the new location. She teaches right behind the new building. Now if she can figure out how to go get a pizza and eat it in her 20 minute lunch break!
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:38 am

20 minutes for a lunch break? That's barbaric!
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:25 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:20 minutes for a lunch break? That's barbaric!

The life of a teacher. It's ok. She loves what she does. She'll love it even more with a Coals so close by!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:18 pm

Kris Billiter wrote:We love Coals!!! They serve my favorite pizza in the city. My wife is so excited about the new location. She teaches right behind the new building. Now if she can figure out how to go get a pizza and eat it in her 20 minute lunch break!

If she could call or text it in so it was ready when she got there she might be able to make it work! :wink:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:58 pm

Nice review Robin. I'm with you on Coals as my go to pizza. My only small complaint is that I can eat a wee bit more pizza than they provide on one pizza, but I feel like a pig getting two. And the wallet doesn't feel that good either!
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:50 am

Get an app! My wife and I love to order arancini or wings, then share a pizza, and with a drink each, we can get full for a very reasonable price.