Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Pizza farms

no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Pizza farms

by Rich S » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:10 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/0 ... 11289.html

A pizza farm is a farm that serves pizzas made from ingredients grown right there in the area, either on the farm's property or on neighboring properties. Sometimes the crops and livestock pens are even organized into "slices," made into the shape of a giant pizza, as is the case at "R" Pizza Farm in Dow, Illinois.

Pizza farms exist all over the country, but have recently become concentrated in the Midwest, specifically in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Pizza farms

by Mark R. » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:14 am

I didn't know they could now grow Pepperoni! I have been on a farm in a while but I guess they've really made for advances in the type of crops they could grow!! :lol:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:11 pm

I guarantee if we had a pizza farm here it would be in St Matthews
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:14 pm

I have to thing on this one. I think farming is awesome, and I am always happy to see people making there own food. I always worry about the Farm-as-gimmick angle however... does it slight those immersed in traditional production agriculture?

I think I like this... but I am gonna remain skeptical... until I am given some free pizza. :D
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:36 pm

I remember when I was a kid there was a (black & white) tv special broadcast on April 1 concerning a possible blight in the spaghetti tree crop in Italy. For those of us realizing it was April Fools Day, the show - broadcast totally realistically - was great, showing farmers setting ladders up against the spaghetti trees and climbing up to cut down the spaghetti hanging down from the branches!

When I thought of it (reading this post) I looked it up on YouTube, and there are around a dozen versions of it out there now - even Martha Stewart has ripped it off!

Anyone else old enuf to remember it?
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:13 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Anyone else old enuf to remember it?

Yes. :oops:
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:24 pm

Mark R. wrote:I didn't know they could now grow Pepperoni! I have been on a farm in a while but I guess they've really made for advances in the type of crops they could grow!! :lol:

As a Highlands hippy Im not into chickens in my backyard but I would totally be down for a couple Pepperoni plants! :wink:
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:49 am

It truly worth the watching- I bet it's been 40 years since I've seen this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVo_wkxH9dU