Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Strati Wild Italian

no avatar
User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Brandenburg, Ky

Strati Wild Italian

by TracyBasham » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:13 pm

My husband and I went to Wild Italian Saturday evening for dinner. From what I remember one of the staff saying, their opening day was earlier that week. There were only a handful of folks there when we visited.

As far as the menu goes, you can customize a pasta dish, wrap or salad or choose one of their signature dishes. They offer a few proteins & sauces to choose from, several veggie choices and cheeses. You walk thru the line (think Subway) and pick & choose as you go.

I went with their signature Beef Gorgonzola pasta (Italian beef, gorgonzola, alfredo sauce & mushrooms) and my husband customized a pasta bowl (angel hair, meatballs, sauce). You have the option of a small serving or large. The small was ample enough for one person. We also added a loaf of garlic bread which is about 5-6 slices of warm, buttery, garlicky goodness.

Overall, the food was pleasant & filling. The service was topnotch. Bill came to $21 and some change with 2 soft drinks. My only gripe (and its a big one for me) is that the pasta was not salted when it was cooked. I cant understand why places fail to do this.

Would I go back? Sure, but I dont find it to be a place I'd put into my regular dinner rotation. I would put it more as a good lunch option.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Strati Wild Italian

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:45 pm

Another winning review, Tracy!

Is this where Penn Station used to be, in the same building with Sapporo? Or someplace close to that? I can't quite pin it down.

Here's their website:
http://www.stratiwilditalian.com/

And Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/StratiWildItalian
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:10 pm

Sounds practically identical to Piada Italian Street Food, which my wife and I just discovered recently on a trip up to Ohio. Piada is part of the Bravo/Brio restaurant conglomerate.
no avatar
User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Brandenburg, Ky

by TracyBasham » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Its right next door to Tom+Chee.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:12 pm

It also sounds like it's very close in concept to Noodles & Company. We've been to the one on Hurstbourne a couple of times already, it's very good and reasonably priced! Like Wild Italian, for most people the small bowl is sufficient for a meal especially if you add a salad or something like that.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:07 pm

The last occupant of that space was Sitar.
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:43 pm

This is the latest "concept" (I hate that term) from those that brought you Wild Eggs and Wild Ritas.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:18 pm

I took my kids during opening week (also not very crowded) and it was pretty good. My kids like pasta and finding an affordable place for them that I can also somewhat enjoy has been a challenge. It, along with Havana Rumba Express, is a place that we can walk to and all enjoy. My own preferences still run towards Loop 22 and Joy Luck, but Strati will work when needed.
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:16 pm

Had lunch there and we'll definitely be back, probably most often for take out. The single eatery we miss most since moving to the Dark Side from Indiana is the Spaghetti Shop in New Albany. We got carry out quite a bit on the way home from the gym in Clarksville. Strati is better, though, due to the wide range of customizable options yet they manage to keep the price down. It's a great addition to the neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Holly Hill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:59 pm

by Holly Hill » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:49 pm

are they making their own pasta?
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:37 am

Lonnie Turner wrote:Had lunch there and we'll definitely be back, probably most often for take out. The single eatery we miss most since moving to the Dark Side from Indiana is the Spaghetti Shop in New Albany. We got carry out quite a bit on the way home from the gym in Clarksville. Strati is better, though, due to the wide range of customizable options yet they manage to keep the price down. It's a great addition to the neighborhood.

There is a Spaghetti Shop on Outer Loop in front of the mall.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Brandenburg, Ky

by TracyBasham » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:42 am

Holly Hill wrote:are they making their own pasta?

It didnt appear to be nor taste like handmade pasta to me.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:11 am

TracyBasham wrote:
Holly Hill wrote:are they making their own pasta?

It didnt appear to be nor taste like handmade pasta to me.

Given the Wild Eggs/Wild Ritas model, I would expect it to be good, and I would not expect it to be handmade. ;)
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:55 pm

Well, given it's in walking distance, I'll check it out and put in a report. Though if the pasta really isn't handmade I'll be super disappointed -- it's not that hard to do.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:08 pm

Given my understanding of their business model- dishes customized on the spot from pre- cooked sauces and pastas., I'd be surprised if their pastas are housemade. Not only is fresh pasta much more expensive ( due to labor), but fresh pastas tend to be much more particular about cooking time, and don't hold really well ( it tends to fall apart).
Next