Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Roux.....Oh My

no avatar
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

Re: Roux.....Oh My

by Clay Cundiff » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:30 pm

Had a nice meal at Roux this weekend. The BBQ shrimp dish is really good, and a generous portion for the price. I'm looking forward to getting a chance to go back for lunch to try the Po' Boys.
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:13 pm

I went w Anna tonight and enjoyed everything ! The po boy was good ( could have had more oysters , but still not small) bread was not stale , the twice baked was very good .and the shrimp BOIL Anna had she finished ( allmost never happens ) and was very good . And the two girls bartending upstairs made some kick ass,drinks! :-)
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:16 am

Four of us had dinner there last night. We had jambalaya, stuffed shrimp, crawfish etouffee and four sides (along with a few Abitas). Everything was excellent. The portion sizes were not huge but were certainly adequate. Two of the sides - the twice-baked fingerling potatoes and the broiled brussels sprouts - deserve special mention. For dessert we had an order of beignets and a bread pudding. The beignets were pronounced "perfect." I love bread pudding, and this version was pretty darn good. It was a little light on the bourbon-caramel sauce, but Brad our server, who provided knowledgeable, attentive service throughout the meal, quickly provided more of it. Our only (minor) complaint is that they do not offer decaf coffee. We will definitely return.
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:32 pm

I still haven't made it to Roux, but I am amazed at the comments on this site vs the ones on other social media. Now, I know that Urbanspoon and Yelp reviewers might have a skewed notion of what good food is and that some might be bitter little trolls, but I have never seen a restaurant (with numerous posts) only get a 50% like rating like Roux has. Are people not ready for the prices, or is it the time of day they are going? And some of the reviewers are from the Big Easy! I am perplexed, and interested in how this can be possible.
no avatar
User

DustinStaggers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:16 am

by DustinStaggers » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Along with many other chefs, I think there is a growing apathy towards social media review sites for restaurants. I would much prefer interactive sites like this. Hell even on this thread alone, I addressed some issues and had some returning guests like the changes.

Between trolls, bitter ex employees, people who don't like the location we occupied and the fact that the majority of people who go out and like food generally return (as opposed to writing reviews), I know I as well as more and more chefs care less and less about reviews. Interactive exchanges between restaurant owners, chefs, and customers are the ways to address issues. People who complain will always complain.

That withstanding, thank you guys who have been on here lately and have written nice things about Roux. I check this site daily for feedback, I check Yelp and other Social Media Reviews generally for a mid day chuckle.
Dustin Staggers
Owner-Roux, Epic Sammich Co, America. The Diner, Ten Tables
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:32 pm

Well said, Dustin. I read yelp reviews for chuckles too sometime. I haven't read your Yelp reviews but I have read the ones here- where people whose opinions I trust are posting. We'll be in soon.
Deb
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:34 pm

I would never, ever look at Yelp.

In other news, I went to the Fried Chicken Throwdown at Resurfaced on Saturday. Roux's entry blew everyone else out of the water. It was flavored with the most amazing Cajun spices and was delightfully crispy. And by spices, I mean it packed some serious heat. Is this item on the menu?
no avatar
User

DustinStaggers

{ RANK }

Foodie

by DustinStaggers » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:11 pm

I am putting out a new menu Friday, and the Creole Hot Chicken will most definitely be on there. I think it's going to be a mainstay for a long time based on Saturdays feedback.
Dustin Staggers
no avatar
User

DustinStaggers

{ RANK }

Foodie

by DustinStaggers » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Actually kind of funny as Yelp has already began their extortion practice with me. I haven't returned their calls, and my good reviews are going away. Being as though I truly don't give a F$#@ about Yelp I find it humorous, but the fact that this is legal is pretty comical.
Dustin Staggers
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:16 pm

DustinStaggers wrote:Actually kind of funny as Yelp has already began their extortion practice with me. I haven't returned their calls, and my good reviews are going away. Being as though I truly don't give a F$#@ about Yelp I find it humorous, but the fact that this is legal is pretty comical.

Keep good records, and if you're willing to share them, we might be able to make a little splash with it ...
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
DustinStaggers wrote:Actually kind of funny as Yelp has already began their extortion practice with me. I haven't returned their calls, and my good reviews are going away. Being as though I truly don't give a F$#@ about Yelp I find it humorous, but the fact that this is legal is pretty comical.

Keep good records, and if you're willing to share them, we might be able to make a little splash with it ...

I was thinking the same thing. If it ever could be proven that this was happening Yelp could be dumped into some hot water pretty quickly.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

DustinStaggers

{ RANK }

Foodie

by DustinStaggers » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:30 am

They already won their federal case. It's simple extortion. The good part about it all though is their clear intent to extort business owners is making such viral waves that eventually they will just extort themselves out of the market and out of advertisements. Until then...let my airline food live in infamy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dustin Staggers
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:50 pm

DustinStaggers wrote:They already won their federal case. It's simple extortion. The good part about it all though is their clear intent to extort business owners is making such viral waves that eventually they will just extort themselves out of the market and out of advertisements. Until then...let my airline food live in infamy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My wife and I use yelp to find cool local eateries in town's we arent familiar with. Having said that I wouldnt really care what it said about your, as we like it.

The first time we came, the Sunday of opening weekend, there were some definite problems and I wrote up a long post with some constructive feedback for you. Somehow the internet ate it or it vanished.

In the past two weeks since you have made the changes to the po'boys (putting the meat and sauce on the bottom as is traditional) and some other tweeks....well we are huge fans. Quite frankly my only biggest worry is that you are going to go out of business or go broke, because the size of the shrimp in the BBQ shrimp dish are HUGE! :shock:
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

DustinStaggers

{ RANK }

Foodie

by DustinStaggers » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:17 am

Thanks for the reply Doug. I make no money on that dish at all. I just love it and wanted to bring it to the people of this fine city who haven't tried it before.
Dustin Staggers
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:17 pm

DustinStaggers wrote:I am putting out a new menu Friday, and the Creole Hot Chicken will most definitely be on there. I think it's going to be a mainstay for a long time based on Saturdays feedback.

This is fantastic news.

I came in with two friends last night without knowing this information. Service was great. Friendly, welcoming, and helpful. The atmosphere is warm and charming. I wasn't super hungry so just got the she crab soup and the tomato salad. The soup was topped with blue crab roe, which was fun. I enjoyed it. The salad was comprised of thick tomato slices, Bibb lettuce, a few thick slices of country ham, dollops of whipped goat's cheese, and anchovies. I like anchovies, but did not appreciate the combination here. I tried a few bites with them, and just decided I preferred the salad without them. To each their own. The cheese, tomato, lettuce and ham were enough for me, and good on their own. One friend got the gumbo, another the étouffée, which they seemed to enjoy. The two shrimps on the gumbo were MASSIVE. Oh my, were they some giant crustaceans.

As Arnold said, I'll be back... for the hot chicken.
PreviousNext