Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Well, you knew I couldn't stay away!

by Bill Veneman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:36 pm

Well, those who know me well know that I can’t stay away from something that I care about so much, such as good food, good friends, good wine and great places to enjoy all of them, hence my hiatus is a brief 6 weeks, and I am happy to announce my not so subtle return, with a personal disclaimer. When I joined the forum (almost 10 years ago, if memory serves correctly), it was a community of like-minded, food loving, friendly folks who enjoy talking about food. Over the years, it has transgressed to the point where it is today. Hence, I needed to take a step back, and reconsider my stance in regards to this forum. I’ve not been far as I have been “hawking” the forum, and resisting the temptation to insert my opinion on various matters. I’ve come to the conclusion that some of you have absolutely nothing better to do with your time but complain about a napkin fold, or the air was blowing too hard in the dimly lit dining room.

I am, have been, and have no plans on being anything other than an open, honest, opinionated, non-politically-correct, off the cuff, hardcore S.O.B that calls it like I see it. I’m old school raised to respect the ideals and beliefs of others, however, having the charm of my southern raised Grandmother (and several other well-bred ladies of southern background), I have no qualms in such gloriously southern ways of telling someone where to go and how to get there, all the while making one look forward to the journey.

In my writings and rants I am totally, freely, and honestly expressing my 1st amendment rights of free speech. I am not asking for anyone’s approval nor do I require it. I lost a bit of my edge recently as life was tending to overwhelm and was taking things more personally than I should have. But, enough about my hiatus, let’s get back down to brass tacks and the business at hand!

I have a new idol in town, and her name is Nancy Miller! Her recent “review” of Anselmo's made me realize that we’d been subjected for far too long by the “canned” and influenced writings of past critics. I applaud her gall, honesty, and on-point observations and prey to heaven that she doesn’t lose that bite about the bite I take at dinner! It also pleased me that that she praised Blackstone Grill. Rick D. has been an institution in this town for years, and this little place in Prospect got it’s well deserved 15-minutes to shine. Bravo. (I’m now Jonesing for his Chicken Livers!)

Next up is the influx of wonderful new places to dine! 1) Coconut Beach (which I went to the soft opening of earlier this week) is incredible! Fernando has done it again. That menu in that location is spot on. Plus his new concept (his 6th) going in during November is placing him well in the ranks of legionary chefs of Louisville’s past. 2) Dustin Stagger’s and his opening of Roux is HUGE. I feel lucky to have scored a table for opening night, and I’m sure I will be expressing my opinion, with my usual honesty, by coffee time tomorrow for general consumption.

Gluten, I roll the eyes when I mention that word, has blessed itself on these pages. It is a scientific fact that this “fad” is more of a lifestyle choice than a health choice and the human body need gluten to operate properly. I for one and sick and tired of this fad, and wish it would go the way pet rock and mood ring!

I did shed a tear at the demise of Taco Punk. The place had a wonderful charm and incredible Taco’s. Alas, the 3 L’s of business reared their ugly head (location, location, location). And Sari Sari departing is a bit of an institutional blow to Frankfort Avenue, however, I’m sure something else with fill in that niche very soon. Tumbleweed, on the other hand could fall into the river and I wouldn’t miss it for a minute. Over the years it has gone to borderline mediocrity from once was a damned fine place to get good tex-mex fare.

The article about what Louisville needs was great, except it omitted a good Jewish Deli and a sit down Greek place. And I agree, pizza is pizza is pizza…how many kinds can a city our size stomach (no pun intended)?

Now, that I’ve come back in with a vengeance, I hope I offended at least a couple of you. Good! You do have a pulse! You are alive! Be careful what you wish for because you may just get it.

To my dear friends, I hope you enjoyed this rant (I can see a couple of you chuckling as I type this up). To those who are scratch your head, you’re not alone! I’ve been causing that reaction from people all my life. I will not pull punches. I am not out for approval. And tough on you if you don’t like it!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Well, you knew I couldn't stay away!

by RonnieD » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:10 pm

Hooray! Welcome back!

I enjoyed your summary of the past 6 weeks and while I don't agree with everything you said, I do appreciate your input and take on things. That's what hotbytes is about, the free exchange of differing ideas. Nobody here is right 100% of the time, and that's why we can all come here and learn and grow.

Glad to have you back in the fold.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:17 pm

Glad you're back, Bill!
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:19 pm

" hardcore S.O.B." My kind of man. Good to see you back. You were missed.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:30 pm

Welcome back!

I was worried this might be a permanent case of 'Phil' syndrome.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Glad to see you're back at Bill! I definitely think many of us fall into the non-PC side of the world and as we age most of the fall into the S OB category at one time or another!

Your summary of the last few weeks was certainly right on!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:25 pm

So glad you decided to come back Bill!!! Always look forward to your fair, honest and opinionated comments :P. You are a definite asset to this Forum!
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Welcome back and I do agree tumble weed could fall in the river ! :-)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:30 pm

Welcome back codger, welcome back welcome back welcomed back! :D
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson