Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

LEO/HotBytes review: Anoosh is back!

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:16 pm

Anoosh is back! Now, what is he going to do?

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Here's a pro tip for restaurant servers: Don't suck up. Even if you think you've spotted a food critic in the house, don't do it. It can lead to no good end.

Or maybe you don't reserve the obsequiousness for suspected food writers. Maybe you fawn over everyone who comes in the door, thinking that bowing and scraping like a rug merchant in a Middle Eastern bazaar will prompt everyone to shower you with big tips.

Take this clue: It doesn't work. Or it sure as hell doesn't work for me, anyway.

I don't know that I was recognized upon my arrival at Anoosh Bistro, but after the 47th time that I was interrupted by someone who just had to know if I was enjoying myself, I had to assume that there was more going on than just new owner Anoosh Shariat's noteworthy hospitality.

Actually, Shariat does know me. I try to keep a low profile, but after many years in the food business, you can't help running into these guys at the farmers' market or wherever. But he also knows that rolling out the red carpet and treating me like a celeb is the worst possible way to get me into a calm, centered critic's head space.

So when he emerged from the kitchen at the end of the evening to give me a smiling hello, he kept it cool. He didn't even ask how I liked it, because he has the confidence to know when he's hitting the mark, as he almost always does.

Now, Anoosh, sell that idea to your staff.

Shariat had operated the eponymous Shariat's restaurant on Brownsboro Road for 10 years, then went on to open Park Place at Slugger Field before leaving town a few years ago. After a few false starts, including an aborted shot at the still-to-come Mesh on the old Azalea site, he finally came back last month to take over Henry's.

The first thing he did, perhaps no surprise for a man who I have never seen wearing a necktie, was to abolish Henry's dress code. No longer must one don jacket and tie to dine in these fancy quarters, and I have heard no complaining about this.

Then they hung the new (temporary) sign out front, and opened a new Facebook page.

And that, it seems, is about it. The look and decor of the place (which involved a massive re-do of the old Mike Best Meats) remains the same. So, as far as I can tell, does the menu and beverage program. Not that there's anything wrong with that: Henry's cuisine was appealing, and if a new hand in the kitchen yields slight differences between the menu description and what's on your plate, no worries. It's going to be good.

Here's another pro tip: If you want to sample what Anoosh is up to, go for the daily specials, which are usually posted on the Facebook page. I don't normally try specials when I'm reviewing because they're transient: You won't be able to taste what I reviewed. But next time here I may make an exception to that rule. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/anoos ... oing-to-do
And in LEO Weekly:
http://leoweekly.com/dining/anoosh-back ... e-going-do

Anoosh Bistro
4864 Brownsboro Center
690-6585
http://facebook.com/Anooshbistro
Robin Garr's rating: 86 points
User

Rachel Goldenberg

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: LEO/HotBytes review: Anoosh is back!

by Rachel Goldenberg » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:26 am

I'm curious why you chose to review Anoosh's Bistro so early. It seems like Anoosh hasn't had sufficient time to get his new menu in place and a review would make more sense once it truly is his vision. I understand that once the sign is up, you are inviting the public (and critics) but this seems premature.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Rachel Goldenberg wrote:I'm curious why you chose to review Anoosh's Bistro so early. It seems like Anoosh hasn't had sufficient time to get his new menu in place and a review would make more sense once it truly is his vision. I understand that once the sign is up, you are inviting the public (and critics) but this seems premature.

Is there a rule on this that i missed? :oops: My approach, Rachel, is that when there's a lot of buzz about a new place or new ownership, I want to check it out and pass it on. I gave it a month, and so many people were asking me, "What's Anoosh doing over at Henry's?" that I figured I'd better go find out.

I'm not sure why anyone would complain about this. Except for the obsequious server, which could happen any place, we had an excellent experience, and I said so. Tell me more?
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:29 pm

Well you will have to go back when he rolls out his new menu.
It's going to be really nice. This deal happened so quick he did not have time to revamp the whole place. Soon his menu will be in place.
Will Crawford
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:05 am

Will Crawford wrote:Well you will have to go back when he rolls out his new menu.
It's going to be really nice. This deal happened so quick he did not have time to revamp the whole place. Soon his menu will be in place.

Oh, we will, we will, and I'm looking forward to it. And I should also mention that Barret, our main server, was great! There was just this one guy, mostly, who I'm sure is really a nice fella once you get to know him, who just seemed to be having a nervous breakdown because there was a food writer in the house. I assume that's why. I sure hope he doesn't act like that around everyone! :oops:

As for the new menu, it's been a month. I figured that was enough time for the new guy to start changing things up a bit, and a little surprised to find Henry's menu un-changed. But I thought the specials looked Anooshy, and that's why I suggested that people try 'em.

And yes, no worries, we'll be ba-aaaa-ack! Wearing a wig, maybe. :mrgreen:
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Having known Anoosh and Paula for many years, this has pleased me know end. I've been to dinner since he took over twice and plan on going back many, many times! The "Anoosh-ifying" is going to take time, and I am excited at this opportunity for my dear friends!

Now, as for the early review of Anoosh Bistro, given the track record of Anoosh, I think I'll give a comment here a miss....all I will say is go, enjoy, and don't worry---it'll be excellent!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Gary Fox and I had a lovely lunch at Anoosh's Bistro this week. Service was great and the food impeccable-it's a great place for catching-up with a good friend! Anoosh- always the generous Chef- willingly agreed to make us his special beet & arugula salad ( despite it only being on the dinner specials)- great flavors in a large portion to split. We loved both of our entrees ( the lemon sole risotto and the chicken linguine). Lovely experience all around. :-)

As Bill V. stated in a different thread, due to the very fast ( almost overnight) sale, the owner's have made minimal changes to-date, but I know from Paula and Anoosh that they will soon be putting more of Anoosh's concept into the place. Great reason to visit now, and then again after Anoosh has fully implemented his new concept later this Fall.
Deb
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Will Crawford » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:19 pm

I had the pleasure to do a double header at Anossh's yesterday for my Birthday. The new menu is now on for Lunch. I had the short rib sandwich..awesome... One of my companions had the Beet salad followed by the Vegan Benidict. He said both were outstanding. My other companion had the tuna melt. This guy orders a tuna melt at very restaurant that has one and he declared Anoosh's the best ever.

For dinner I started with the Grilled Romain...oh my what a great flavor.. My girlfriend had the beet sald and was smitten. For my entree I had grilled shrimp and diver scallops. The scallops were nice and big and so was the shrimp. Most wonderful. My girl had the seabass, which was so buttery.

The hospitality was un-paralleled. I did not find anyone over baring or in search of tips..just friendly and effecient.
Will Crawford
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Will Crawford wrote:The hospitality was un-paralleled. I did not find anyone over baring or in search of tips..just friendly and effecient.

I'm pretty sure I was recognized by someone who didn't know what to do with that, Will. :P
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Will Crawford » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:29 pm

The maître d, Dennis is very old school and could be perceived as overly attentive. I however found him extremely hospitable.
Will Crawford
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks for the insight, Will. I'll try to be more understanding when we go back. I do think the phenomenon was amplified by the perception of a critic on the premises, though. And it's unfortunate, because sucking up is the worst possible way to try to impress me, and the more smarmy it gets, the more irritable I get. :?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:the more irritable I get. :?

You get irritable? We've certainly never seen that here on the forums! :lol:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:36 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:the more irritable I get. :?

You get irritable? We've certainly never seen that here on the forums! :lol:

:twisted: :lol: