Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Ryan G.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:59 pm

Doughnut in Louisville like Lexington's Spalding's Bakery?

by Ryan G. » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:34 am

Are there any bakeries in Louisville that offer a glazed yeast doughnut similar to Spalding's Bakery in Lexington?

For those not familiar with the doughnut, this link (http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2011/11/l ... dings.html) describes them as "irregularly shaped, airy, full of stretchy nooks and crannies and an unusually thick, crisp crust, these are the kind of doughnuts that are the aesthetic opposite of the perfectly round factory-stamped shape of the major chains" and "the yeast doughnuts at Spalding's are made the same way they've always been made: cut by hand and allowed to rise on birch wood boards before being deep fried". The link also has a picture of the doughnut.

In am attempt to answer this question myself, I visited several Louisville bakeries the past few weekends; including Plehn's, Bussmann's, Heitzman (Shelbyville Road), and Nord's. While Plehn's, Bussmann's, and Nord's had very good offerings, they were not similar to the Spalding's glazed yeast doughnut.

Regardless if I actually find a similar doughnut in Louisville, this has been a fun experience getting familiar with the local bakeries. I've lived in Louisville for 18 years, but somehow had never visited any of these bakeries. I'm likely going to hit the Sugar and Spice Donut Shop this coming weekend.
User

Shannon W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

Re: Doughnut in Louisville like Lexington's Spalding's Baker

by Shannon W » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:43 am

Have you tried State Donuts, off the Gene Snyder? (Pee Wee Valley exit)

They have amazing, light donuts that are always very fresh...
"Mark that frame an eight...and you're entering a world of pain."
no avatar
User

Ryan G.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:59 pm

by Ryan G. » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:22 pm

Shannon W wrote:Have you tried State Donuts, off the Gene Snyder? (Pee Wee Valley exit)

They have amazing, light donuts that are always very fresh...

No, I wasn't aware of State Donuts. Thanks for the tip. I'll add them to the list to try.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Ryan, I can't testify ... I like an occasional donut, but I am far from an aficionado. Plehn's and Nord's generally win high praise among Louisville's old-school multigenerational German family donut shops, though.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:47 pm

The best doughnuts I ever ate were from that little independent bakery in Hikes Point that sat in the same shopping center as Baskin Robbins but just around the corner from them. She was only there about a year but she had beautiful, imaginative doughnuts and wonderful breads. And the best pretzel bread I've ever had. I wish I could remember the name... I also wish I knew where she is currently baking.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:13 pm

Small Times Bakery. It was amazing and I mourn it every day when I drive by. They were super friendly and I had become a regular. I was so sad when they went out.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:14 pm

That's it! Thank you! Since you were a regular do you think there is anyway to find out if she's baking anywhere for anyone else?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:29 pm

I wish I knew. One day there was a sign on the door saying they were temporarily closed due to a family emergency. I called the next day and she said they were shutting down. No idea what happened next.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:35 am

I second State Donuts. Don't know if their yeast donut is what you are looking for, but they are the best in my book. Be warned- they sell out and/or down to few choices early. If you go, don't miss trying the apple fritter- amazing!
Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:28 am

Deb Hall wrote:I second State Donuts.

Isn't that adjacent to Old School NY Pizza? Mmmmm, donuts and piiiiizzzza ...
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:33 am

I don't know that Pizza place. It's off Lagrange Road, at the Gene Snyder ( Anchorage/ Crestwood exit) in a little strip mall on the Crestwood side.http://www.yelp.com/biz/state-donuts-louisville

Yum!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:35 am

Deb Hall wrote:I don't know that Pizza place. It's off Lagrange Road, at the Gene Snyder ( Anchorage/ Crestwood exit) in a little strip mall on the Crestwood side.

Sounds like the same place, Deb! Old School looks like a typical strip-mall pizzeria, but it's run by a group of funny, wisecracking Brooklynites who make one of the better NYC-style pies around town. If I recall correctly, when you drive into that shopping center and the donut place is on your left, Old School NY is straight ahead, more or less.

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/red-c ... l-ny-pizza
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:54 am

Robin, you are right. Same location for both!
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:31 pm

You might want to try Adrienne and Co bakery and Café in Jeffersonville or their Donut shop Amazing Glaze which is somewhere in the knobs. My son worked for them for about 9 months and would occasionally bring home donuts and I have to say they were pretty awesome. I am glad he moved on and doesn't work there anymore but they do put out great donuts.