Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

Tokyo Japanese Restaurant - Sushi

by Steve A » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:37 pm

We had a taste for sushi last night, so my honey and I headed over to Tokyo Japanese Restaurant, east of Holiday Manor on Lime Kiln.

We thought there was a change when we were in for dinner a couple of months back, but sitting down at our table it became more apparent. First it looks like they’re working on freshening up the décor a bit. Then it dawned on us that this was the second time we’d been there and not seen the usual sushi chef/owner or his wife.

I asked our waiter if there had been an ownership change recently, and he said that original owners of 14 years have retired(!), and that he and his father who used to be the chef at Sapporo in the Highlands, bought the place three months ago.

I ordered a vegetable tempura appetizer to share, then we each ordered a roll off the specials menu. The waiter also offered that they expect to have the new menus in a week or so, but in lieu of the permanent menu they would be happy to take a shot at making anything we’d like.

We stuck with our original order and it was great! The veggies in the tempura were fresh and flavorful, and the dip served with them was a good complement. Our rolls were out of this world. Fresh (obviously), really tasty and the presentation was very creative. They also had a pretty decent zip to them so wasabi was not served on the side, nor was it needed.

Their website is not yet active as of this writing, but if you’re in the mood for really good sushi they’re worth a try. Tokyo Sushi is a little over two blocks south of Brownsboro on Lime Kiln, across the street from McAlister’s Deli.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Tokyo Japanese Restaurant - Sushi

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Thanks for the report, Steve. I'm sorry to hear the old couple retired. They maintained it as one of the best sushi places around (and one of the few - perhaps the only one - run by ethnic Japanese). But the Sapporo connection sounds promising for its continued quality.