Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Tasting Menu

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Tasting Menu

by Kris Billiter » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:26 pm

Ok, let me first say that this question shows my ignorance, but I still will ask. I was reading the business first article on Corbett's and I saw the prices for 5 and nine course tasting menus. I'm new to the fine dining scene so I a have no idea what a tasting menu is. What is the concept, do you have choices, etc? please someone illuminate me!

Kris
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:40 pm

Well I think it probably depends on where you go. I've had the "Feed Me Chef" tasting menu at Limestone several times and loved it each time. There you don't know what you are getting, I believe it is five smaller courses. But, it's more than enough food. We like to go after 9:00 pm when the wine is included in the price. Again, you don't know which wine you are getting but it's picked to go with the course.

Several years ago I had a tastings dinner at Charlie Trotters and the smaller courses were spelled out on the menu. I like the surprise.
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:30 pm

The only experience I've had with a tasting menu was last summer at Morimoto in Philadelphia. In Japanese the tasting menu is referred to as "omakase," which literally means "entrusting" - you're putting yourself in the chef's hands. Our server asked us if there was anything we didn't like, we said no, and we were subsequently presented with four or five amazing small courses. We had so much fun enjoying each course and anticipating the next one, and it's surely the best way to get a true sense of a restaurant. If you're an adventurous eater it's a great experience.