Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Gluten

User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

Gluten

by Gary Z » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:56 pm

"Science Proves Gluten Sensitivity Isn’t Real, People Are Just Whiners

That may be a snarky way of saying it, but it’s true in some cases. Scientific studies have concluded that sensitivity to gluten for people who do not have Celiac disease may be completely psychological. It is especially relevant in a country where 17 million people may unnecessarily believe that they are gluten-sensitive. (Source: A Mayo Clinic survey in 2012, cited in a NY Times article.)It is especially shocking in a planet that spent $10.5 billion last year on gluten-free products. (Source: Mintel, a market research company, cited in the NY Times article.)"

http://www.buzzworthy.com/science-prove ... t-whiners/
Last edited by Gary Z on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Gluten

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:22 pm

Yeah, I've often said the same thing about gluten sensitivity and sulfite sensitivity: If you're self-diagnosed, you're probably wrong. If you think you have one of these maladies, which are both rare, have a doctor check you out.

Some people do have these allergies, and the industry needs to respect that. But a huge crowd of hypochondriacs pissing everybody off really make the world worse for the relative handful of truly afflicted.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:41 pm

But..but..but... if people can be allergic to it, it must be bad for me, right? I mean, otherwise why would someone be allergic to it? So I should cut it out of my diet, because it's bad and I might be allergic to it like people who are, right?

:roll:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:57 pm

The one good thing about so many people being psychologically allergic to gluten is that it has created a larger market for gluten-free products. Because of this manufacturers are making many more items gluten-free which is better for the people that absolutely have to have gluten-free because of their condition!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:36 pm

Yeah I kinda feel the same way about the ridiculous number of people diagnosed with sleep apnea.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:38 pm

Carla G wrote:Yeah I kinda feel the same way about the ridiculous number of people diagnosed with sleep apnea.

Definitely, it's the new in problem that doctors think they can make a fortune off of! People have had it forever and I don't think I've ever heard of anybody dying from it!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:43 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Carla G wrote:Yeah I kinda feel the same way about the ridiculous number of people diagnosed with sleep apnea.

Definitely, it's the new in problem that doctors think they can make a fortune off of! People have had it forever and I don't think I've ever heard of anybody dying from it!

That's what I was thinking! Anybody know ANYBODY that died in their sleep from improper breathing?
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:30 am

Sleep apnea can be fatal (never ask a medical person if they have seen something, most have). The more common problem with it is the body cannot get into a deep rem sleep and that causes other problems for the affected person.

Gluten is a serious problem for people with celiac disease. Others are sensitive to it, causes digestive problems, gas and bloating. Like the low carb fad period, people will self diagnose and it will pass. I happen to be insulin resistant, which the low carb diet works for. It has kept my borderline diabetic diagnosis from going to Type 2. Most of the fad people have read a magazine article or internet post and think this is the answer to their problems. They do not read the research, see the doctor or keep it up for very long. The problem is for folks that have true GI issues or blood sugar issues, this is a lifetime committment of food choices. For the "dieter" it is something to do until they get bored or it gets "too hard". :mrgreen:
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:32 am

Let's add this radon gas thing to the list!
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:27 am

Gluten can be added to the list of probable "killers" we in the food industry have to deal with every day. I always try to determine if people are simply sensitive to something, or actually medically allergic. I have had people who claim to to allergic to garlic, onions, tomatoes, etc. etc.. Once in upstate NY, I had a lady rush into the kitchen and pronounce angrily, "What about us Caraway Seed intolerant people!" in response to a few seeds found in a loaf of bread. My advice is this. If you are highly allergic to any of the following, onions, garlic, tomatoes, wheat, etc. and are deathly afraid of cross contamination, you really, probably, most certainly, should not be eating out at all. Stop the madness.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:14 am

About a year ago, the games journo community lost one of its most beloved personalities.

At the age of 34.

Just days after he was married.

RIP Ryan Davis. His cause of death was sleep apnea.

Yes, people die from it. And the weird indignation people get over those who suffer from it are contributing to people not taking it seriously. So please, stop treating it like it isn't.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:18 am

Before this goes any further please, stop and reread the original couple of threads. No one ( as in NO ONE ) said that Celiac disease or sleep apnea is fantasy. We said they were over diagnosed . That there are thousands out there claiming to suffer from them when the number of deaths from it are considerably less. I am not putting either in the realm of unicorns or fairies, rather in the same circle with, I don't know, maybe chimeras. (Rare but very real but not every 2 colored cat or dog is one.) I do think our for profit medical society plays heavily off of any fear in order to turn it into an instant profit. (There's much more money to be made off of a child with allergies than a child with a cold.)
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:46 am

I know people with sleep apnea and they'll tell you that their CPAP machine is their best friend, improving their quality of life immeasurably. Trust me, no one would put up with that machine who really didn't need it. I really don't understand this idea that it's over diagnosed. There are specific criteria and a sleep study while monitoring blood oxygen level must be performed.

And with gluten, there is a difference between gluten intolerance (digestive issues) and ciliac disease and gluten allergies. Each one is a different condition. Most will have unpleasant effects but isn't life threatening. Surely there are people jumping on the "can't eat gluten" band wagon, but I'm willing to give people credit for figuring out what is tying their guts into knots. For me, it is difficult to believe anyone would give up the yumminess that is bread without there being a good reason.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:02 am

Steve H wrote:I know people with sleep apnea and they'll tell you that their CPAP machine is their best friend, improving their quality of life immeasurably. Trust me, no one would put up with that machine who really didn't need it. I really don't understand this idea that it's over diagnosed. There are specific criteria and a sleep study while monitoring blood oxygen level must be performed..

Totally agree . . . that machine is a real pain! Since my wife started on it, however, she no longer has uncontrollable blood pressure levels, wakes up rested, and can live her life without having me wake up all the time to see if she stopped breathing or is flatlining during the night. And yes, every few years she has to spend the night at a monitoring center to verify sleep levels and blood oxygen levels.

I think the reason it's "popular" now is that the sleep monitoring equipment (electric monitoring of brain waves and blood oxygen while still allowing the patient to sleep) is a relatively new development which could not have been checked until recently.

And btw, you rarely die of sleep apnea; rather, the fact that the body is not getting sufficient sleep leads to significant heart problems that will eventually lead to heart attacks or strokes.
Andrew Mellman
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:05 am

I clicked through the link to the study. And this is from the abstract:
CONCLUSIONS:
In a placebo-controlled, cross-over rechallenge study, we found no evidence of specific or dose-dependent effects of gluten in patients with NCGS placed diets low in FODMAPs.

Now those FODMAPs show up in everything these days, so I could easily see people thinking they are gluten intolerant when it's really those spawns of Satan.

The full text is here. The number of subjects was only 37.

Here's a pro tip. Beware chicory root extract, AKA inulin. I was prompted to research this after some unfortunate responses the family had to Fiber One bars. We now call these Fart Bars.
:shock:
Next