Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Gluten

User

Patrick Kelting

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:39 pm

The Burbs

Re: Gluten

by Patrick Kelting » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:14 pm

OK kids, time for me to chime in. My very best friend of over thirty years was diagnosed, by a doctor, as being gluten-sensitive. I do believe that "sensitive" is not the proper word. Knowing what that man went through (you REALLY don't want me to go into graphic detail here), the term should be "gluten- I'm gonna f**k you up bad".
Being the kind, caring, loving, cheffy pal that I am; I developed some gluten-free (& just for good Karma) vegan veggie patties that (knowing his palate) I knew he would enjoy. He did. He shared with his friends & now we can't make enough of the damn things.
We introduced the patties (Spicy-ish Black Bean, Roasted Garlic, & a Falafel (made with Kale & Mustard Greens) at our Farmers Markets &, guess what, the crowds went wild!
We were approached by the buyer for the cafe/gift shop from Bernheim Forest & they are now our biggest customer. It's nuts!!
Robin, I really did not mean for this to turn into an advert for my business (well, kinda, but not really). But people are "sheeple". They will, & do, follow whichever direction they are told to go. Very good example, (ya'll ain't gonna believe this). Scene: Very Popular Venue (Flea Off Market). Customer: "You got gluten-free patties?" Us "Why yes, we do." Customer: "I got ta get me some!"
This particular scenario occurred three different times on one particular day while the "Customer" was lipping a cigarette & drinking a beer (Hey kids, beer contains wheat!!!).
no avatar
User

Kari L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by Kari L » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:02 pm

Annie May, your GF pizza is really good -- it's nice to get a crust that isn't thin. I, too, really really want a pan/deep dish pizza that is GF though. I've read there are some places in Chicago that have a gluten free Chicago-style option...just haven't been up there and therefore haven't done much research on how safely prepared they are, or where to get them.

It's really nice to have a place to go where it is always safe to eat anything that's in the store, and I don't have to be afraid of flour or crumbs. Thanks for providing that for us. :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Patrick Kelting wrote:Robin, I really did not mean for this to turn into an advert for my business (well, kinda, but not really).

You're in the clear, buddy. It's highly appropriate to the topic.

Also, want. Now. Where will you be this weekend? :mrgreen:
User

Patrick Kelting

{ RANK }

Foodie

The Burbs

by Patrick Kelting » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:13 pm

Sir Robin, we will be at Flea Off this Sat. 10-5 & Sun. 10-5.
I almost introduced myself several weekends back. You were out at Rainbow Blossom on market day, but you appeared to be in a hurry.
Come on out to Flea Off; a good time will be had by all.

Patrick Kelting
Flying Leap Farm
no avatar
User

Kari L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by Kari L » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:04 pm

Will you have them at Harvest Homecoming? Might we actually be able to find something to eat there this year? ;)
User

Patrick Kelting

{ RANK }

Foodie

The Burbs

by Patrick Kelting » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:37 pm

We will not have our veggie patties at Harvest Homecoming. There's just the two of us & we can only keep up with so much. We sell our patties frozen anyway.
We appreciate any & all interest in any and/or all of our products, but, please, PM me or look us up on Facebook about any further info. Let's keep the Forum freed up for that which it was intended.
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:10 pm

Seems worth pointing out--but I'm sure many of you know this--Celiac is more of an autoimmune condition than a true allergy. As such, you don't have the acute life-threatening situation typically, but it can still cause very unpleasant chronic symptoms for the person at risk.
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Doug W » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:40 pm

Interesting piece from yesterday's NYT:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/29/celiac-disease-diagnosis-gluten/

Hopefully I put that link in correctly.

Cheers,

Doug
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:43 pm

Thanks for the link, Doug. Good information!

As for the link, adding the url tags around it did no harm, but it's not necessary. The forum software will interpret it as a link as long as either http:// or www. is at the start. The system will pick up those signals and convert it even without a tag.

The url tags are handy if you want to "embed" a link - to make words of text appear as a hotlink - but in casual forum posts that's hardly worth the extra effort.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:14 am

Previous