Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ gives Blackstone Grill 3.5 stars

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:41 pm

Looks like the CJ is out early with a review of Blackstone Grill. Very positive, 3.5 stars. Your thoughts? http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /16157617/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: CJ gives Blackstone Grill 3.5 stars

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:44 pm

The reviewer declares Prospect a "culinary dead zone" except for Blackstone Grill. I wonder what Hanabi and the Bristol think of that. Not to mention Norton Commons, which shares the 40059 zip code ... ;)
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:51 am

Robin Garr wrote:The reviewer declares Prospect a "culinary dead zone" except for Blackstone Grill. I wonder what Hanabi and the Bristol think of that. Not to mention Norton Commons, which shares the 40059 zip code ... ;)

" Lookit here son, I say son, did ya see that hawk after those hens? He scared 'em! That Rhode Island Red turned white. Then blue. Rhode Island. Red, white, and blue. That's a joke, son. A flag waver. You're built too low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em. Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball. Eye. Ball. I almost had a gag, son. Joke, that is."

Off the top of my head starting at the Western edge of Prospect there is Captain's Quarters, Cunninghams, Darkstar Tavern and Cast Iron Steakhouse. On Highway 42 proper we have Bristol, Hanabi, Bistro 42, L&J Café (which is owned by the fine folks at Dragon Café),Subway and the usual outposts of chain pizza delivery and McD's.

Tucked in behind the Stock Yards Bank we have the mighty fine Sol Aztecas (who have the friendliest staff in town that treat you like family) and Arata Sushi. If you head down Carslaw Ct. past Sol Aztecas you find J Harrods on River Rd.

Follow River Rd to its end with U.S. 42 and you will find the old Winn Dixie shopping complex that holds Panda China, Blackstone Grill, To the River Café, Homemade Pie & Ice Cream and some fine sandwiches at Butcher's Best.

Wind your way up the hill and cross the Oldham County line and you have Burning Bush and Dragon Café.

A veritable wasteland of food choices Prospect suffers with. And thanks for letting me channel my Foghorn Leghorn so early in the day!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:57 am

What I started to post before I read Ed's post-

Well, I live out here, and yeah it does seem like a culinary dead zone. Unless you want to eat at the same two or three places every time you look to dine out , there just isn't much. There's a ton of chains but an assortment of independents in various price ranges...not so much.

Now it would seem that the fault is not in our lack of choices but in our own trampling the same pathness. :oops: I need to look harder.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:04 am

Ed's rant is right on! I was going to write something like that, but he did it better . . .

As for Blackstone's, I think she's maybe a half star high, but I also like it. It's what the Bristol was back when it opened - a great local bistro with comfort food done well - maybe not cutting edge, but with a couple of "interesting" dishes among the standards, good drinks done well, and friendly atmosphere.
Andrew Mellman