Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

Frankfort Ave a future dining destination?

by Lonnie Turner » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:30 pm

Hey Robin, looks like there's hope for your neighborhood. Scan to the bottom of the first page. Does look like an interesting building.
http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2014/09/10/hilltop-theater-property-soon-could-be-home-to-a.html
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Frankfort Ave a future dining destination?

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:Hey Robin, looks like there's hope for your neighborhood. Scan to the bottom of the first page. Does look like an interesting building.
http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2014/09/10/hilltop-theater-property-soon-could-be-home-to-a.html

"Deljoo said he believes Frankfort Avenue eventually could become a hub for dining in Louisville."

Well, hey! That's good to know. :mrgreen:

I'm pretty sure the Hilltop being in the hands of history-curious developers is not news. Haven't we had something on it before, albeit maybe a link to media-on-paper?
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:29 pm

I sat in on the neighborhood meeting with Mo well over a year ago. I'm on pope street. Let me just say that 1. Parking has become a major issue on this end of Frankfort ave. We are especially conscious of our school for the blind friends, and the flow of traffic and lack of parking in our 'hood. Blocked sidewalks, parking in no parking zones choking traffic even more...
2. No matter what Mo said, he only had a single restaurant occupier on his mind, never a multi use facility
3. They are digging out the lot adjoining the building for outdoor seating and providing 14 parking spaces off street. Silver $$ provided some spaces until they were established and then put storage on them, eleminating parking spots. I'll be happy if that doesn't happen in this case.
4. Don't be surprised to see meters going up in this corridor at some point, although I'd prefer zoned neighborhood parking.
5. I know I sound negative, but I'm glad Mo has invested on reconstituting a beautiful building. I just hope for some balance on my street.
6. Bim is involved somehow. I see him floating in and out of there with fistfuls of plans.
This is me withholding judgement. Just throwing out some observations. It's a vast space that should by law require more parking then 14 spots. Maybe they will encourage "lift" or carpooling.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:38 pm

In the future? Frankfort Ave has some of the best eating in the city already. Best Pizza, Best Irish food, Best Ice Cream, great breakfast, and so on. Not our fault the rest of the city/world isn't keen.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Not to mention best margarita. Among other things neighbor.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:55 pm

RonnieD wrote:In the future? Frankfort Ave has some of the best eating in the city already. Best Pizza, Best Irish food, Best Ice Cream, great breakfast, and so on. Not our fault the rest of the city/world isn't keen.

That was certainly my thought when I started reading this thread!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:06 am

Nora Boyle wrote:This is me withholding judgement. Just throwing out some observations. It's a vast space that should by law require more parking then 14 spots. Maybe they will encourage "lift" or carpooling.

There are better ways to deal with parking problems than requiring businesses to have lots. You mentioned a couple already - meters and zoned parking for residents. Parking requirements for businesses have a way of absolutely destroying urban fabric like few other policies. If there's anything Louisville doesn't need, it's more parking lots.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:34 am

That's absolutely true. That to me is the unpleasant draw back to saving these beautiful buildings and turning our po-dunk end of Frankfurt ave into a destination! At least I can walk to these places. The neighborhood association is afraid zoned parking will upset potential customers, but it works in other cities. We have to evolve. (Glad I dug out a parking spot out back of my house!)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:19 pm

Nora Boyle wrote: The neighborhood association is afraid zoned parking will upset potential customers, but it works in other cities. We have to evolve. (Glad I dug out a parking spot out back of my house!)

With an election on for Metro Council to replace Tina Ward-Pugh, this might be a good time to find out where the candidates stand on something creative like this.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:38 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
Nora Boyle wrote:This is me withholding judgement. Just throwing out some observations. It's a vast space that should by law require more parking then 14 spots. Maybe they will encourage "lift" or carpooling.

There are better ways to deal with parking problems than requiring businesses to have lots. You mentioned a couple already - meters and zoned parking for residents. Parking requirements for businesses have a way of absolutely destroying urban fabric like few other policies. If there's anything Louisville doesn't need, it's more parking lots.

Vast parking lots like we have downtown are certainly something that destroy the urban fabric but depending solely on parking meters and zoned parking cause their own set of problems. Parking meters obviously are designed to prevent long-term parking which is obviously good for businesses but a huge problem for residents. Zoned parking is just the opposite. Businesses like restaurants need a significant amount of parking, usually in the early evening hours, bars are basically the same thing but there parking requirements are normally a little later in the evening. Unfortunately these times are in direct conflict with residents parking requirements when they come home from work.

I truly believe that businesses that are coming into an urban setting such as Frankford Avenue need to provide some type of parking as part of their business plan. If they don't there is going to be a conflict between the businesses and local residents. Having back of business parking is one of the things that don't interfere with the streetscape yet help relieve the load of parking problems. Just saying to use on street parking for a business that has a large influx of people is not a good way to encourage peace in a neighborhood!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"